In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1huelga pasiva femininehuelga de celo feminine Spaintrabajo a reglamento masculine Southern Cone
- The workers, who have been on a go-slow for the past week, began a full-scale strike on October 25, accusing the ministry of breaking its promise to increase salaries by the end of that month.
- Frustrated taxi drivers have staged a go-slow to protest against the towns council's recent decision to remove the central and busiest taxi rank.
- Dozens of flights from the international airport were delayed as part of the protests and baggage-handling staff held a go-slow.
- The government's measures have provoked other forms of disruption, such as go-slows by lorries on motorways and major city roads.
- They've also threatened to discipline people for an alleged go-slow.
- The workers committee said that it would also consider other forms of protest, including go-slows.
- Sky-high forecourt prices in the wake of Hurricane Katrina have prompted veteran fuel protesters to threaten motorway go-slows and refinery blockades in the coming week.
- The plantation trade unions in Sri Lanka have called off a campaign of two-hour stoppages and go-slows by 450,000 tea and rubber plantation workers who were demanding a wage increase.
- Blockades and go-slows aimed at pressurising the Government into cutting fuel duties took place across the country in 2000, sparking panic buying and shortages at filling stations.
- This resistance could include workplace go-slows, mass sick leaves, industrial and military sabotage, and the non-payment of rents and taxes.
- The go-slow is causing serious delays to air traffic with several flights cancelled on Monday.
- Hauliers are planning a go-slow to delay traffic.
- On September 30, another strike began, following a go-slow at a number of the company's mines.
- This attack on democratic rights is in response to the campaign by many present and former employees for the reinstatement of the 1,300 dismissed workers through go-slows, lunchtime pickets and petitions.
- One Dutch team and all four Spanish teams withdrew from a race that was reduced to a farce as the riders protested with go-slows.
- The riders' response was one of anger at their treatment - and there were roadside sit-ins and go-slows before Paris was reached by a relieved peloton.
- The paper reported that in Nakuru, more than 350 employees went on a go-slow to protest the delay in paying salary arrears and allowances.
- On July 5, civil servants in Liberia started a go-slow to support their demand for the government to pay their salary arrears.
- He also called on members to participate in a go-slow to protest against the subsidisation of private and former Model C schools.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.