In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(move, travel, be outdoors)andarwe were advised to go around in twos or threes — nos aconsejaron que anduviéramos en grupos de a dos o tres
- he went around to different publishers — fue a ver a varios editores
- she goes around in a Cadillac — anda por ahí en un Cadillac
- to go around with sb — andar con algn
- he goes around with some funny characters — anda con gente muy rara
- to go around -ing — ir por ahí + ger
- you can't go around saying things like that! — ¡no puedes ir por ahí diciendo esas cosas!
1.2(circulate)(joke/rumor) correr(joke/rumor) circularit's a bug that's going around — es un virus que anda (por ahí)
1.3(be sufficient for everybody)there are enough forks to go around — hay tenedores (suficientes) para todos
- there aren't enough to go round — no alcanzan
- she added some water to it to make it go around — le agregó agua para que diera / alcanzara para todos
1.4(revolve)(wheel/world) dar vueltasI have this idea going around in my head — le estoy dando vueltas a esta idea
1.5(visit)irI'll go around and see him — iré a verlo
- we went around to Arthur's last night — anoche fuimos a casa de Arthur
2.1(turn)(corner) doblar(corner) dar la vuelta a(corner) dar vuelta Southern Cone(bend) tomar
2.2(avoid, make detour)(obstacle) rodear(obstacle) sortear
2.3(visit, move through)(country/city) recorrerin the afternoon we went around the castle — por la tarde visitamos el castillo
- to go around the world — dar la vuelta al mundo
- he went around the house looking for defects — recorrió la casa buscando defectos
- he went around several companies trying to sell his idea — fue a / recorrió varias compañías tratando de vender su idea
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.