In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(leave, exit)salirI went out for some fresh air — salí a tomar el aire
- nobody is to go out of the building — que nadie salga del edificio
- some of the old spirit has gone out of him — ha perdido un poco del empuje que tenía
- to go out hunting/shopping — salir de caza/de compras
- they went out looking for him — salieron a buscarlo
- let's go out for a walk — salgamos a dar un paseo
- to go out to work — trabajar fuera
- the doctor's gone out on an urgent call — el médico ha salido a hacer una visita urgente
1.2(socially, for entertainment)salirI'm going out to a concert tonight — esta noche voy a un concierto
- to go out for a meal — salir a comer fuera
1.3(as boyfriend, girlfriend)salirto go out with sb — salir con algn
- how long have they been going out (together)? — ¿cuánto hace que salen (juntos)?
2(be issued, broadcast, distributed)invitations have gone out to several dignitaries — se ha cursado invitación a varios dignatarios
- a warrant has gone out for her arrest — se ha ordenado su detención
- the redundancy notices have gone out — se han despachado las notificaciones de despido
- this program is going out live — este programa se emite en directo
3(be extinguished)(fire/cigarette) apagarse
4(travel abroad)(al extranjero) irse
6.1(be eliminated)ser eliminado
6.2(in card game)cerrarirse
7.1(become outmoded)(custom/clothes/style) pasar de moda
7.2(come to an end)terminarthe year/the week went out in spectacular style — el año/la semana terminó de un modo espectacular
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.