In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He sometimes carried defensemen with him as he zoomed in on goalies.
- The playoffs are when goalies, anonymous outside of their own area, get to show their stuff to a larger audience.
- Bleeding superstars, inebriated goalies and headhunting defensemen were commonplace.
- Hockey goalies head to the bench if they can't keep the frozen hunk of rubber from flying past them.
- So what does it feel like to face a breakaway, when it's all left up to the goalie?
- The goalie will rant and rave and say they have to get through it out on the pitch, but sometimes it's better they have a rest.
- The goalie retreated, with head bowed in contrition, as the ref showed him the yellow card.
- He adds that goalies must let their defensemen and forwards come back and get the puck behind the goal line.
- The crackdown has been particularly tough on defenseman and goalies, who have to work in traffic in front of the net.
- First, championship goalies are as scarce as square wooden pucks.
- He plays more like a sweeper than a goalie, clearing the ball before the forward can even get to it.
- Seriously though, as a defender you need that kind of positive communication from your goalie.
- Because most goalies catch with their left hand, right wingers have a big advantage taking this shot.
- Even in indoor lacrosse they dress like hockey goalies, with a huge chest protector and huge gloves.
- The goalie coaches and the way the goalies play make it really tough for the goal scorers.
- If you're a goalie, you've got to know what the other side is going to try and do as best yon can.
- As in any tournament, the goalie will have a great deal to do with how far this team goes.
- They keep goalies guessing because they can go side to side.
- Their goalie did not have a worthwhile save to make, but some of our lads need games to get their match fitness up to scratch.
- No matter how good the opposing goalie is, he can be distracted by traffic in front of his net.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.