In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1portero masculineportera feminineguardameta masculinearquero masculine Latin Americaarquera feminine Latin Americagolero masculine Southern Conegolera feminine Southern Cone
- As he reached the penalty area he calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper.
- He argues that because goalkeepers can handle the ball in the penalty area, they therefore should not be allowed to kick the ball outside of it.
- Excluding goalkeepers, what is the longest stretch of games a player has played without scoring for his own team?
- The goalkeepers were under such pressure, no wonder they conceded goals.
- In Gaelic football, goalkeepers will continue to use plastic tees.
- I understand that the goalkeepers are the only players allowed to handle the ball.
- The Italian goalkeeper had no chance with the first two goals but he might have done better with the third.
- He is also targeting a senior goalkeeper and has a few names on his short-list to consider.
- Even a training game goal is a personal defeat for the goalkeepers.
- My favourite used to be the goalkeepers who caught the ball under the crossbar and then managed to kick it out from the edge of the box.
- Last night it was much more haphazard, so much so that it ended with a goalkeeper scoring the winner.
- He generates great power and bend on the ball which always deceives goalkeepers.
- That must include 16 who are available to play, 14 outfield players and two goalkeepers.
- He's the best goalkeeper and has played in goal for a long time and not let us down.
- There have been some excellent goalkeepers in English football over the years.
- It is worth a risk because the goalkeeper was out of his goal and it worked.
- Solano clipped the ball past the isolated goalkeeper to score into an empty net.
- Goals are scored by throwing the ball past the opposing goalkeeper into the net.
- Both sides started well with play flowing up and down the pitch and shots on both goals testing the goalkeepers.
- I think if we are relying on goalkeepers scoring goals then I won't be long in this business.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.