In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Despite the godawful cover, this book is an astonishing bargain.
- Sometimes life is just so God-awful you have to laugh, because if you start weeping, you'll never be able to stop.
- I got a wicker blind to replace the godawful curtains in this room and discovered it's 5cm too wide, so I'll have to snip it down bit by bit.
- So just imagine what a godawful racket 10,000 pipers (no-doubt of ‘mixed’ ability) are going to make.
- After reading rumblings on the Internet, I finally saw the theatrical trailer and it was well, plainly put, it was godawful.
- As much as I think the screenplay is godawful, the big budget stunts look great.
- My flatmate has brought the most godawful piece of cast iron sculpture into our living room.
- Frankly, nothing compensates for sitting through this godawful racket.
- What is that godawful smell in there?
- Ideally, they should seek advice and then schedule one of those godawful meetings that everybody hates.
- When the call I have been dreading finally comes, it's like a ghastly incarnation of your worst nightmare: the waking equivalent of that godawful dream where you find yourself wandering, completely starkers, through a crowded airport.
- Into the previously quiet space came the most godawful noise.
- This has to be one of the most godawful shows ever produced by a State-sponsored broadcaster.
- It is by no means a masterpiece, but it is not the godawful atrocity that many backward-thinking critics have made it out to be.
- For me, it was just a godawful train wreck of a film.
- The more time I spend in this God-awful town, the more I hate it.
- The homecoming queens looked like trashy wannabes, in tight, revealing gowns and these God-awful clunky shoes.
- How is it that someone who's been writing since the late 60s can still be such a godawful writer?
- We are heading into one godawful fiscal storm.
- I seem to live permanently in some kind of godawful soap opera.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.