In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2(in Mafia)padrino masculine
- If there was a mafia at Clear Ridge High, Shelley was the godfather, the Marlon Brando of mobsters.
- Gotti joined the powerful Gambino crime family in 1966 when it was headed by Mafia godfather Carlo Gambino.
- Mafia bloodletting is rare, generally confined to squabbling godfathers in the provinces.
- He knows the exercise of arbitrary power by studio heads, easily comparable to Mafia godfathers.
- The scene was reminiscent of the Mafia godfather who goes to confession on Sunday before returning to his normal criminal activities on Monday.
- The provos have been touting for support and jumping into bed with madmen, gunmen and godfathers for as long as they have been in existence.
- That's why mafia godfathers and titans of business don't mind eating with their most trusted lieutenants in otherwise empty restaurants.
- Ming, a gangster, has worked his way up the police force ranks and Yan, a cop, has been undercover as top hitman for Sam, the pudgy-faced godfather, for nearly a decade.
- A mandatory inclusive executive, however formed, involving those who are criminal godfathers will never gain our support.
- The export of mafia capital on this scale produces far more difficulties for the Russian economy than the activities of the Colombian drugs barons or the Italian Mafia godfathers, who at least invest some of their ill-gotten gains at home.
- Thieves returned a stolen car with a note saying sorry and eight bottles of champagne after discovering it belonged to the son of a Mafia godfather in Castellammare, Sicily.
- A malign version of myself, more outrageous and more cunning, he became the godfather and I the consiglieri of our two-man ‘mob’.
- In Glasgow, gang territories are in a state of transition as the alleged criminal godfathers who ran them have been scattered by circumstance.
- ‘Eh, you Americans know nothing,’ Viktor said with a Russian accent, which vaguely reminded me of an Italian mafia godfather.
- When he went to prison, he was running a crime family business as the godfather.
- Getting rid of the guns, goons and godfathers will not happen overnight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.