In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- S.O.B. was godmother to both boys and assumed a parental role towards them.
- She was a godmother to several children born in the village, and she taught in the Sunday School and she did a great deal.
- She is godmother to Robinson's youngest son, Aubrey.
- The princess is godmother to their 14-year-old son Peregrine, a pupil at Winchester.
- According to Guyanese tradition, a female child will have two godmothers and one godfather, and a male child will have two godfathers and one godmother.
- ‘Walter's wife, Cathy, is the godmother to my second son,’ Andy says in his embracing voice.
- She's had two more children since then… and I am godmother to them all.
- Mary had an excellent relationship with Marguerite de France, who was more than twice her age and godmother to the Dauphin, whom Mary was to marry in 1558.
- Moreover, Virginia acted as godmother to her ninth and eleventh siblings - but not to the tenth, who had been named after a previously dead infant.
- On April 17, 1733, she became godmother to a child of a Judge Premont.
- His sister Tamara is a close friend of mine, and I am the godmother to her daughter, I have a great relationship with all of the Castagnolas.
- Christine always wanted children and so I decided to make her godmother to my second daughter, Grace.
- The oldest girl and I are the same age, and she's godmother to my oldest daughter.
- Those friendships have continued: I'm godmother to one of my friend's two children, and our children are friends.
- And anyway, isn't the role of the godmother to oversee the child's spiritual welfare?
- Among Kucinich's Hollywood supporters is Shirley MacLaine, an old friend who is godmother to Kucinich's daughter.
- When Priscilla became pregnant, she asked Sarah to be godmother to her child, Lisa.
- She jokes that by the age of eight she was already a godmother to many, making promises about what she would send for them when she finally got to America.
- I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child.
- You can name just one godparent, or two godmothers or godfathers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.