In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine padrinofeminine madrinamy godparents — mis padrinos
- The godparents promise to lead the child in the way of the Lord.
- Karen becomes responsible for Jacob's upbringing and becomes his godparent.
- Parents select godparents for their children's baptism, confirmation, and marriage.
- In fact they are the godparents of my son, born in Santa Cruz some twenty years ago.
- This is a lifelong relationship, and many godparents have managed to reconnect with their godson or goddaughter.
- As a godparent, I now have responsibilities towards him and will take a special interest in his development and life.
- Among other responsibilities, they are expected to be godparents to the couple's children.
- We're not Christians, so she doesn't have godparents, but having a ‘spiritual family’ comes pretty close.
- The parents and godparents renounce Satan and profess their faith.
- When a child is ready for baptism, the parents first select the godparents.
- Even in a ‘private’ baptism, the godparents represent the community of faith.
- At the baptism, the Christian godparent would answer the questions that imply Christian belief.
- We invite family, godparents and mentors to join in the laying on of hands on confirmation Sunday.
- Close family friends or relatives are chosen as godparents and participate in the religious ceremony.
- Technically, some churches still insist godparents make a commitment towards the child's religious adherence.
- The commitment that the godparents make includes providing advice and spiritual guidance to the godchild.
- This sponsorship creates a relationship not only between the child and the godparents but also between the child's parents and the godparents.
- After the baptismal ceremony, the parents, godparents, child, and guests returned to a family home for a celebratory meal.
- The godparents were Nicola Coomey and Keith Kelly.
- The family unit includes godchildren, godparents, and many other members of the extended family.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.