In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1oro masculine(ring/reserves/ingot) de orosolid/pure/24-carat gold — oro macizo/puro/de 24 quilates
- that woman is pure gold — esa mujer vale (su peso en) oro
- the gold market — el mercado del oro
- His jewellery in silver, gold and platinum, is very exclusive and very distinctive, but happily he is able to cater for all budgets.
- The gold in Fort Knox doesn't reduce the value of gold in circulation much because it isn't circulating.
- The mine has potential to produce 106,000 tonnes per year of copper, gold, uranium and cobalt over its 24-year life.
- Elements on Earth such as oxygen, calcium, iron and gold came long ago from exploding stars such as this one.
- As my predicted recovery of the American economy gets speed, the world will buy more of our diamonds, gold, copper and uranium again.
- While equities languish, precious metals such as gold have seen their value soar as investors seek a safe haven during uncertain times.
- Use of gold and silver as currency is, however, now a thing of the past.
- Lampung is also rich of minerals such as coal, iron, gold, silver, tin, manganese and uranium.
- National states have endeavoured to overcome this problem by linking the value of national currencies to the value of gold or silver.
- He explained that Ongopolo mines and processes base metal, mainly copper, but also associated precious metals such as gold and silver.
- Other natural resources include uranium, gold, and iron ore.
- The Bretton Woods system, where currencies had fixed values in terms of gold, inevitably collapsed.
- The gold standard refers to currencies that are tied to the value of gold, as was the case in developed countries in the 19th century.
- There are also deposits of tantalite, iron ore, uranium, copper, gold, and diamonds.
- Uranium, gold, phosphates, tin, coal, limestone, salt and gypsum mining are prominent in Niger.
- While foreign currency assets rose $589m, the value of gold went up $489m during the month.
- Types of metals which are commonly used are stainless steel, gold, titanium and platinum.
- Some contain small quantities of platinum, gold, silver and copper which can be turned into jewellery and piping.
- Most stylish bracelets are made of valued metals such as gold (white or yellow), silver and platinum.
- Under this regime the British pound, fixed to a certain value in gold, served as a transworld currency and thereby greatly facilitated cross-border payments.
1.2(money)monedas de oro feminineoro masculine
- Who never dreamed about something like that; gold, wealth, adventure, history.
- Unlike the dwarfs, Bilbo cherishes friendship and merriment over gold and wealth.
- He didn't trust banks for some reason and kept all his money and gold in a stupid safe in the attic.
- The place one dwells in the spirit world cannot be decided by power, honor or gold.
- A long chain of independent ports lined this coastline, and their trade brought much wealth and gold to their people.
- Perhaps it's a subliminal, sinister reminder that gold is the root of all evil.
- He was held for only two years in the Duke's dungeons, after he had been made to pay the cost of the return of these girls to their tribes, and considerable sums of gold in compensation to their peoples.
- The whole board was swayed by the promises of gold, power and riches.
- It wasn't, after all, that she was after money or gold or anything, she was after knowledge.
1.3informal (medal)medalla de oro feminineto go for gold — ir a por la de oro Spain informal
- Following closely behind Romania, Germany took home two golds and two silver medals also won solely by their women's squad.
- The club's medal tally for the night was four golds, one silver, one bronze and three fourth places in the individual events and a team silver for the men's open and bronze for the women's open.
- They say his medals - he ended up with three golds and a silver in Sydney - will be worth a lot of money, a substantial proportion of which he will donate to his favourite children's charity.
- She was a great sprinter in her time winning silver and bronze medals at the 1960 Olympics and multiple golds at the 1963 Commonwealth and European Games in 1963, the year she won the award.
- Chinese gymnasts captured eight medals, including three golds, at Sydney, making them favourites in many events.
- Sophie Calpin returned with three golds and one silver medal.
- Halfway through the tenth day of the Olympics, China topped the medals table with 23 golds, 15 silvers and 11 bronzes - one gold ahead of the Americans.
- After winning two golds at the 2000 Olympic Games, Bennett struggled with increasing shoulder pain.
- He is the only endurance athlete to win golds in five consecutive Games in a gold run that started in Los Angeles in 1984.
- In 2001, he was named as St Lucia's chef of the year picking up three golds and a silver medal in local competition.
- The British boys built on their successes at the last Olympics with three golds, a silver and a bronze at the world track championships in Copenhagen last year.
- Kieren Perkins is, of course, an Olympic medallist from each of the last three Olympic Games: two golds, two silvers.
- He has set 18 world records, won four world championship golds and twice been Olympic champion over 10,000m.
- But, when the cameras focused on her, she tucked the bronze medals behind the three golds.
- This played out in the form of two golds and one silver medal at the 2000 Olympic Games - the most successful medal haul ever for British rowing.
- He became a U.S. citizen in 1995 and in 2000 won three Olympic golds, in the 100 and 200 meter back and 400 medley relay.
- She will be a favourite for a Welsh gold at the Commonwealth Games.
- Goddard took a bronze and a gold in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, where Turner won silver and bronze medals.
- The 1996 Atlanta Games 110-meter hurdles winner is trying to become the third track athlete to win four world championships and two Olympic golds in the same event.
- He has claimed two European golds, Olympic silver plus bronze medals at last year's world championships in Paris and the 2002 Commonwealth Games in his home city of Manchester.
2(color)dorado masculinecolor (de) oro masculineoro masculine literary
- You may have guessed by now that my favorite colours are red and gold, and as it was my birthday I decided to be really girly, and wear a dress.
- To continue our example with cream woodwork, the foyer and halls might be painted a pearl gray, light tan, soft gold, or deeper cream.
- In the end I went for a deep red with gold flecks in it.
- Warm hues of gold and red have been used to decorate the living room, which also has an attractive bay window and a large Elgin and Hall fireplace.
- The sun, almost level, poured into the back of the house, turning every element of our carefully chosen colour scheme into a warm, glowing gold.
- A gleaming and glittering twist on gray, silver is the complementary colour of gold.
- Jade's bracelets began to clatter against each other and the runes began to glow alternate colours; red and gold.
- He pointed out that the West Yorkshire Regiment's own colours were maroon, gold and black - almost identical in appearance to those worn by City to this day.
- Colours range from black, blood red and burgundy to gold, beige, yellow and lime green.
- This attractive tree with star-shaped leaves can grow into a large conical tree with glorious autumn tints of red, purple and gold.
- These will include door swags, holly wreaths and table centrepieces in a selection of colours like gold and silver, as well as in the traditional reds and greens.
- Over time the colours - greens, reds, blues and golds - become deeper, intensified by varnishing.
- They even have a uniform in the club colours of purple, aqua and gold.
- This is the time of fishing into the long evenings of Scottish summer days when the warm skies colour into intense hues of purple and gold as dusk chases day over the western horizon.
- The predominant colour is gold and the red patterned carpet on the altar looks as if it belongs in an old woman's living-room.
- Stir in the cumin seed and the crushed chilli and continue cooking until the onions are deep gold in colour and spicily fragrant.
- You notice that most of the areas of the castle are decorated in the colours of gold and red?
- Optimistic colors - spicy reds, yellowed golds, deep blues and rich browns - feel timeless and vibrant and infuse energy into framed pieces.
- From the front of the St. Petersburg Hotel the sky shaded from pale grey to gold, orange and deep red.
- The riverside trees and bushes were quite magnificent in the autumn colours of reds, gold, oranges and yellows.
1(dress) doradogold paint — purpurina (dorada) feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.