In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1medalla de oro feminine
- The Royal Astronomical Society awarded him their gold medal to mark this achievement.
- His work at the school was outstanding and he was awarded the gold medal in 1901.
- Britain's defeat means their long search for a gold medal in the men's team pursuit goes on.
- Last night he won his fifth gold medal of the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.
- Bender also won a bronze medal in discus and a gold medal in the hammer throw.
- Consistent running by Tranmere Park girls saw them finish the league in first position and win the gold medal.
- But they know what it takes to win a gold medal and will be able to cope with the huge burden of expectation.
- How many times do we ask the question how did he, or she, manage to win a gold medal?
- The sport of curling is a big deal here - Scotland won a gold medal at the last Olympics.
- Bringing home a gold medal from the world championships was, well, like a fairytale.
- You just don't get that in Britain unless you win the World Cup in football or a gold medal at the Olympics.
- Kelly Holmes comes from way back in the field to win her first gold medal of the Olympic Games in dramatic style.
- World champions Canada are Britain's main threat for the gold medal and the race looks set to go down to the wire.
- In 1978 he was awarded the gold medal of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
- Daley Thompson smiled and waved as they put the gold medal around his neck and declared that he was the greatest.
- The girls brought home the gold medal, while the boys took the bronze medal.
- She had vowed never to watch a video of those races until she won a gold medal.
- He has trained in the sport since 1983 and won a gold medal at the last world championships.
- When he was twelve years old he won a gold medal in a piano competition and it looked as if he would make music his career.
- Kelly Holmes last night became only the seventh British woman to win an athletics gold medal at the Olympics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.