In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1¡caray! informal euphemistic¡recórcholis! informal datedshe said she was going to do it, and by golly she did! — dijo que lo haría ¡y vaya si lo hizo!
- Nevertheless, we had arrived in Paradise and by golly, was I excited.
- And by golly, all weekend long and for nearly the entirety of the coming week, we'll be basking underneath blue skies and 68-degree weather.
- But by golly, if you believe it, that's good enough for me.
- But by golly, I am not old enough to start shaving my chin, yet.
- I think we're doing it but, by golly, you don't do that in six years.
informal, child language
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.