In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As adults they lack appendages, segmentation, and all internal organs except gonads and the remains of the nervous system.
- Fish were scored as intersexes when at least one of the gonads was an ovotestis or when one ovary and one testis were observed simultaneously.
- Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.
- To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.
- It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.