- As adults they lack appendages, segmentation, and all internal organs except gonads and the remains of the nervous system.
- Fish were scored as intersexes when at least one of the gonads was an ovotestis or when one ovary and one testis were observed simultaneously.
- Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.
- To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.
- It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.