In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2British slang(medal)medalla femininechatarra feminine informal derogatory
- It's the best ten minute boost to female self-esteem ever invented, and I'd be the first to award Heat a gong honouring their services to womankind.
- The 66-year-old from Basildon is one of only six people to be honoured with a gong from the Basildon Concorde Rotary Club in the organisation's 27-year history.
- The pair received their gongs at a glittering awards ceremony held last night at the Hilton hotel, in Birmingham.
- A record number of nominations have flooded in for the York Tourism Awards - but there is still time for you to make your selection before the gongs are finally awarded at an Oscars-style ceremony.
- Started when Smith was 23, it has won the Commonwealth Writer's Best First Book award among other gongs.
- The Water Lane pub and hotel has been the Yorkshire regional winner for the past two years but the couple were still surprised to be handed the UK gong at a Warwickshire award ceremony.
- At the ABC's internal local radio awards, the gong for best promotion went to a giveaway of a free trip to France.
- There were no gongs awarded and no deals clinched.
- Set in a rural town in the midlands, Pure Mule won five Irish Film and Television Award gongs in November including Best TV Director.
- Speaking from France, where she is visiting her brother, Mrs Bailey said she was deeply honoured to receive the gong, but stressed that her staff deserved recognition too.
- Several other borough residents were awarded gongs in the New Year's honours.
- Here's a prize for what must be the most inappropriate gong ever awarded.
- At last night's sparkling RTS Sports Awards, the BBC added six gongs to its trophy cabinet as the television industry paid tribute to BBC Sport talent both on and off screen across the nation.
- It also lifted the Pioneer Award, the gong voted for by viewers.
- Hardly an evening such as this passes these days without an awards ceremony, and so the gongs were handed round to some of the better known in the sector and everybody went home reasonably content.
- Prestigious food awards have brought her best-chef gongs and pelted her with Lifetime Achievement titles.
- It was a good week for gongs as another prestigious awards ceremony also took place.
- But gongs were awarded for ‘services to the defence industries’.
- Each year well deserving personalities - many from the worlds of sport, business and entertainment - line up to receive gongs in the traditional round of awards given by the Queen on the recommendation of advisers.
- There are no gongs for being included in this list, no awards to collect, no accolades.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.