In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(school/food/quality/book) buenoa good wine — un vino bueno
- a good year for Beaujolais/films — un buen año para el Beaujolais/el cine
- the soup was really good — la sopa estaba buenísima / riquísima
- it smells good — tiene rico / buen olor
- it looks good — tiene buen aspecto
- her French is very good — habla muy bien (el) francés
- my one good tablecloth — el único mantel bueno que tengo
- in good condition — en buen estado
- this hotel is as good as any you'll find here — este hotel es de los mejores que hay por aquí
- nothing's too good for his little girl — todo es poco para su hijita
- to come good
- our team came good in the end — al final nuestro equipo salió adelante
- when will that boy come good? — ¿cuándo sentará cabeza ese chico?
- to make good — tener éxito
- he's bound to make good with his experience — con la experiencia que tiene, seguro que tendrá éxito
- to make good sth
- I made good the mistakes — corregí los errores
- he undertook to make good the damage to the car — se comprometió a hacerse cargo de la reparación del coche
- our losses were made good by the company — la compañía nos compensó las pérdidas
- the plasterwork will all be made good — el revoque se dejará en condiciones
- they made good their threat/promise — cumplieron (con) su amenaza/promesa
- she can be trusted to make good (on) her offer — podemos confiar en que haga efectiva su oferta
- to make good one's escape — lograr huir
2(creditable)(work/progress/results) buenoshe consistently gets good marks in history — siempre saca buenas notas en historia
- they've made a very good start in the race — han empezado muy bien la carrera
- he got a very good degree — se recibió con muy buena nota
- he came a good second — llegó en un muy respetable segundo puesto
- at least he had a good try — por lo menos lo intentó
3(opportune, favorable)(day/opportunity/moment) buenois this a good time to phone? — ¿es buena hora para llamar?
- this is as good a time as any — es un momento tan bueno como cualquier otro
- it's a good chance for you to meet them — es una buena ocasión para que los conozcas
- it's a good thing you remembered it — menos mal que te acordaste
- it's a good job nobody was listening — menos mal que nadie estaba escuchando
- it would be a good thing to consult her/if she were consulted — sería bueno / no estaría mal consultárselo/que la consultáramos
- things are looking pretty good right now — (en este momento) las cosas van muy bien
- you're looking good — todo va bien
4(advantageous)(deal/terms/investment/position) buenoI've had a very good offer — me han hecho una oferta muy buena
- at a very good price — a muy buen precio
- she's a good person to have around — es una persona que conviene tener cerca
- a good person to avoid — una persona a la que hay que evitar
5(useful, suitable)(plan/advice/suggestion) buenoit's a good book for reference — es una buena obra de consulta
- burn it; that's all it's good for — quémalo, no sirve para otra cosa
- it's a good idea to let them know in advance — convendría / no sería mala idea avisarles de antemano
- good idea!, good thinking! — (suggestion) ¡buena idea!
- it seemed like a good idea at the time — en aquel momento pareció una buena idea
6(healthy, wholesome)(diet/habit/exercise) buenohe is in good health — está bien de salud
- I'm not feeling too good — no me siento / no me encuentro muy bien
- spinach is good for you — las espinacas son buenas para la salud / son muy sanas
- all this sun can't be good for your health — tanto sol no puede ser bueno para la salud
- he drinks more than is good for him — bebe demasiado / más de la cuenta
- she has been good for him — ella le ha hecho mucho bien
- marriage seems to be good for her — parece que el matrimonio le sienta bien
7(attractive)she's got good looks — es muy bonita / guapa
- she's got a good figure — tiene buena figura / buen tipo
- she's got good legs — tiene buenas piernas
- that dress looks so good on her — ese vestido le queda / le sienta muy bien
- the picture looks good on that wall — el cuadro queda bien en esa pared
8.1(virtuous, upright)(man/woman) buenotwelve good men and true — doce hombres justos
- the Good Book — la Santa Biblia
- We would like to keep up the good work so please support the collections next weekend.
- Most refer to her good work and tireless energy but do not even touch on the range or depth of her activities.
- Shares of the proceeds of next year's Marriott Charity Ball await local good causes.
- Finally, everybody thinks that you are a good person by virtue of your job.
- As well as helping a good cause buying this CD will give you hours of pleasure.
- Please continue to keep up the good work at the Wiltshire Times to highlight road safety issues.
- In the case of the conjoined twins we saw two good moral traditions at work.
- All the money raised from the show goes to charities and good causes - mostly in Orkney.
- It is in the cupboard, and likely to stay there until the next good cause that requires a raffle prize donation.
- This area is full of mostly good, decent people, but people are scared about these shootings.
- Was this wild display of conspicuous donation prompted by the desire to help the good causes involved?
- Sadly, in a lot of cases, parents are failing to bring up their children with good family and moral values.
- The shops have now become a constant source of income, vital to the charity's continued good work.
- He had, we must suppose, good moral reasons for seeking to pursue that course of action.
- It would be great if it were used for a good purpose, like helping people with heart disease and the like.
- It will be shared out among local good causes at the group's presentation day later this year.
- Initially the Bulls had attached themselves to every single good cause in the city.
- This tells all young and old that a bad deed done in the name of a good cause is acceptable.
- You know, the good guy has to wear a white hat and the bad guy has to twist his moustache.
- He has lost his business, his reputation, his good character, his savings and his career.
8.2(kind)buenoto be good to sb
- she was very good to me — fue muy amable conmigo
- the firm has been very good to me — la empresa se ha portado muy bien conmigo
- it was very good of you to come — muchas gracias por venir
- how good of them to take so much trouble! — ¡qué amabilidad de su parte, tomarse tantas molestias!
- would you be so good as to help me? — ¿me haría el favor de ayudarme?
- your good lady — su señora esposa
- including your good self — incluyéndolo a usted
- my good man/woman — mi buen amigo/buena amiga
- good old Pete — el bueno de Pete
8.3(well-behaved)(dog/child) buenobe good — pórtate bien
- be a good boy and fetch me my pipe — sé bueno y tráeme la pipa
- don't do it again, that's / there's a good boy! — y no lo vuelvas a hacer ¿eh?
- good boy! — ¡muy bien!
- Every morning it gets harder and harder for me to wake up and go to class like a good little girl.
- It is very important to make sure that good students are welcomed and well regarded.
- We are trying to have a code in school where we maintain good order and discipline.
- A Swindon school has found a new way to beat the truants and encourage good behaviour.
- They want to say my friend is a good mother and that her son has the rights most children don't have.
- The programme will be designed to teach them about good behaviour and neighbourliness.
- A Swindon primary school is needed to help research links between good behaviour and fish oils.
- There is no charge and all the good boys and girls get a treat after the stories are read.
- Perhaps if we could charge or reward for poor or good behaviour things would be easier.
- Again the converse is true: if good behaviour is ignored or criticised it will not continue.
- This section of the Code sets out basic rules of good practice that all clubs and individuals must observe.
- The school will work with others to share expertise and develop good practice.
- I don't think it is wrong, or a waste of time, to point out the virtue of manners and good behaviour.
- This sanction worked better in securing good behaviour than the threat of flogging.
- In return, she resolved that she would do her best to be a good, obedient wife.
- The year five and six pupils were chosen on their good behaviour merits by teachers at the school.
- Council solicitor John Emms has had to remind councillors of the importance of good behaviour.
- For its part, the tourist board shares examples of good practice with its commercial members.
- She's a good girl, but a little slow at times, and sometimes needs a guiding hand.
- Inspectors also praised the good behaviour of the pupils and their enthusiasm for learning.
9.1(in greetings)say good night to daddy — dale las buenas noches a papá
- she kissed me good night — me dio un beso de buenas noches
- how are you? — I'm good — ¿cómo estás? — estoy bien
9.2(in interj phrases)good! now to the next question — bien, pasemos ahora a la siguiente pregunta
- good for you! — bien hecho
- good God! — ¡Dios mío!
- good heavens! — ¡Santo Cielo!
- good grief/gracious! — ¡por favor!
- very good sir/madam — lo que mande el señor/la señora
- very good, ma'am, I'll have that report for you right away — muy bien señora, ahora mismo le traigo el informe
- that's all, sergeant — very good, sir! — eso es todo sargento— ¡a sus órdenes mi teniente (/ capitán etc. )!
10(pleasant)buenoto be in a good mood — estar de buen humor
- the good things in life — las cosas buenas de la vida
- he loves the good life — le gusta la buena vida
- we had good weather — nos hizo buen tiempo
- I hope you have a good time in London — espero que te diviertas / que lo pases bien en Londres
- did you have a good flight? — ¿qué tal el vuelo?
- a good time was had by all — todos disfrutaron muchísimo
- it's good to be back home/to see you again — ¡qué alegría estar otra vez en casa/volverte a ver!
- it's good to feel the sand between your toes — es un gustazo sentir la arena entre los dedos
- it's too good to be true — es demasiado bueno para ser cierto
- I thought it was too good to be true — ya decía yo que no podía ser verdad
11(decent, acceptable)buenochildren from good homes don't do such things — los niños de buena familia no hacen esas cosas
- to have a good name/reputation — tener buen nombre/buena reputación
- to make a good marriage — hacer una buena boda
- they have a good marriage — son un matrimonio feliz
- he simply isn't good enough for her — (ella) se merece algo mejor
12(sound)(payer/customer) buenomy credit's still good — todavía tengo crédito
- he should be good for $50,000 — debe poder llegar hasta 50.000 dólares
- she's good for twenty pounds — seguro que te presta unas veinte libras
- this ticket is good for another week — este billete vale para una semana más
- this car's good for a few years yet — a este coche todavía le quedan unos cuantos años por delante
- the ball is good — la pelota es buena
13.1(skilled, competent)(doctor/singer/sportsman) buenoI've finished — good boy/girl! — ya he terminado — ¡así me gusta! / ¡muy bien!
- he's not a good liar — no sabe mentir
- he's no good in emergencies — en situaciones de emergencia no sabe qué hacer
- she's/he's good in bed — es muy buena/bueno en la cama
- she's very good in the kitchen — cocina muy bien
- they're better in defense than in attack — son mejores en la defensa que en el ataque
- she has a very good ear/eye — tiene muy buen oído/buena vista
- to be good at sth/ -ing
- to be good at languages — tener facilidad para los idiomas
- he is very good at sewing — cose muy bien
- I'm good at crosswords — soy bueno para los crucigramas
- he's good at putting his foot in it — es un experto en meter la pata
- he is good on old coins — sabe mucho sobre monedas antiguas
- he is good with dogs/children — tiene buena mano con / sabe cómo tratar a los perros/los niños
- she is good with her hands — es muy habilidosa / mañosa
- he's very good around the house — se da mucha maña para los arreglos de la casa
- The best thing about my quiz is that it genuinely measures how good at magic you are.
- She wasn't so good at concentrating, a situation largely attributable to her dyslexia.
- I was never particularly good at anything but I had a lot of drive and ambition.
- Rev Palmer said she was extremely good at her job as a beauty therapist and was skilled as a masseur and in skin care.
- As people are spending more time at work he added that it is important we enjoy the work we do and build on the skills that we are good at.
- I have made the elementary mistake of being demonstrably rather good at my job.
- He's been good at everything he's turned his hand to because of his determination and ambition.
- I also had to keep in mind the possibility that I would be incredibly good at it.
- It is good at matching people, by expertise but also by philosophy and personality.
- Teachers are usually quite good at spotting this kind of thing, as they spend every day with their class.
- Donald was also extraordinarily good with children and enjoyed their company.
- In my experience most kids are incredibly good at selecting what kind of books they're ready for.
- The lads were really good with the children and the kids really loved it.
- He said it was possible these children would never be good at calculation.
- For a guy who has achieved so much at 26, he is incredibly good at dealing with the media and fans.
- You have to be good at talking to the public and even better at listening.
- I've gotten quite good at screaming abuse at the TV screen on the rare occasions he pops up.
- But like a pair of trusty brown brogues, it served its master well and was good at what it did.
- But according to their coach, they are so good at sports that they do not need to train!
- It's always great to get a bargain, but I'm really not good at fighting for things in the sales.
13.2(devoted, committed)(parent/friend/husband/wife) buenoa good Catholic/socialist — un buen católico/socialista
14(valid)(argument/excuse) buenoit's not good enough to say you can't do it — no alcanza / no basta con decir que no puedes hacerlo
- it's simply not good enough! — ¡esto no puede ser!
- without good reason — sin dar una buena razón / una razón de peso
- that's a good question! — ¡buena pregunta!
- that's a good one! — ¡ésa sí que es buena!
15.1(substantial, considerable)(distance/meal/salary) buenoit's a good way — hay un buen trecho
- it's a good four kilometers — está a unos buenos cuatro kilómetros
- she's making good money — está haciendo mucho dinero
- there's a good chance of rain tomorrow — hay bastantes posibilidades de que llueva mañana
- there were a good many / a good few people there — había bastante gente / un buen número de personas allí
- I joined the queue about 15 cars behind him, so it took a good twenty minutes to get past.
- The tide was in, and the breakers were a good twenty to thirty feet high when they hit the harbour wall.
- So, this scientist then spent a good few months examining the genetics of these lambs.
- Most jobs that will earn you a good amount of money involve a fair bit of training.
- The owners had put an extension on the back, so the dining room and kitchen were good sizes.
- Quarry, meanwhile, has had a good few months to ponder his decision to make this his final season.
- A club can get a fairly good audience even if it's featuring music in a very limited genre range.
- Make sure it is pressed well into the sides and leave a good amount hanging over the top edge.
- There were four of them, all a good size, and you could see how they would easily suffice two people sharing.
- The irony is that I am willing to stand up and say that and take a good amount of criticism for it.
- Enough for at least two people, all the chips were of a good size, without being wedge-like.
- James Goodwin was at least a good three inches shorter AND was half his size when it came to body weight.
- Plus they have plenty of time to revolt as the plans are a good 18 months off being implemented.
- This weekend is shaping as a very good game and it should be played in front of a good size crowd.
- The curried prawns were of a good size, but were done in Thai style with the shells left on.
- I think the accusations against him on this kind of thing go back a good ten years at least.
- I spent a good hour doing a thorough search of my flat, but there was no sign of the damn thing.
- However, used-car buyers should rejoice in the fact that they at least tried for a good few years.
- I do pay the authority a good amount per year in services and other charges.
- The Beast had been busy arguing that it needed a good six months more to mount a proper, lingering defence.
- A good twenty or so Patriots remained standing and, for the most part, uninjured.
- I listened, and could hear him walk a good twenty paces down a concrete corridor.
- God, that boy owes me big time, since I probably had a good amount of homework to do in other subjects.
- This is a very rewarding job but one that does demand a good amount of your free time.
- He let me move in with him and his wife, and he and I spent a good eight months working on my demo.
- I had to spend a good hour or so cleaning out the new contacts, but it was a start.
- This apparently simple problem has taken me a good four months to resolve since you first contacted me in May.
- The confit keeps for a good two months in the fridge, and the syrup can then be used in fruit salads.
- It was a good size with a thin crust and was, as you would expect from an Italian restaurant, freshly baked.
- The rooms are all of a good size, sensibly laid out and have first class furniture.
- As he had a good four inches and twenty pounds on both of us, we didn't really have a choice about following.
- I have cooked and presided over a good many family meals myself since those days.
- He poured clumsily, spilling a good amount of claret as the carriage bumped along.
- It lasted for a good ten seconds and sounded like a motorbike going down the road outside.
- The rooms in The Moorings are generous and bright, while the back garden is a good size.
- The crowd that assembled at it had a great time and raised a good amount for the Sudan Appeal.
- There was a good size patch in the back right hand corner for a vegetable garden.
- I checked my watch as subtly as I could and decided there was a good twenty minutes to go.
- The fields were a good size, with plenty of familiar names both riding and training.
- The goal spurred the home side on, and cheered by a good sized crowd they looked the more likely to score.
15.2(not less than)it'll take a good hour — va a llevar su buena hora / una hora larga
- a good half of all the people interviewed — más de la mitad de los entrevistados
- it's a good mile from here — queda a por lo menos una milla / a una milla larga de aquí
16(thorough, intense)(rest/scolding) buenoI'll feel better when I've had a good night's sleep — me sentiré mejor cuando haya dormido bien
- I gave her a good talking-to — le eché un buen sermón / un sermón de los buenos
17informal(for emphasis)I'll do it when I'm good and ready — lo haré cuando me parezca
- the water's good and hot — el agua está bien caliente
- it's good and strong — es bien fuerte
18as good as
- it's as good as new — está como nuevo
- you'll soon feel as good as new — pronto estarás / te sentirás como nuevo
- he as good as admitted it — prácticamente lo admitió
- she as good as told him to go away — le dijo poco más o menos que se fuera
1(moral right)bien masculineto do good — hacer el bien
- the triumph of good over evil — el triunfo del bien (sobre el mal)
- there is some good in everyone — todos tenemos algo bueno
- he may be rude but there is a lot of good in him — puede que sea grosero pero tiene muchas otras cosas buenas
- an influence for good — una influencia beneficiosa
- to be up to no good — estar tramando algo
2(people)+ plural verb the good — los buenos
3(benefit)bien masculinefor the common good — por el bien común / de todos
- for the good of sb/sth — por el bien de algn/algo
- it's for your own good — es por tu (propio) bien
- for good or ill — para bien o para mal
- no good will come of it — nada bueno saldrá de ello
- it's all to the good — tanto mejor
- it's all to the good that he did marry her — hizo bien casándose con ella
- to do sb/sth good — hacerle bien a algn/algo
- lying won't do you any good at all — no ganarás / no sacarás nada con mentir
- it did him a lot of good politically — lo favoreció políticamente
- much good may it do you! — ¡para lo que te va a servir!
- for all the good it has done me … — para lo que me ha servido …
- to be in good with sb — estar a bien con algn
4(use)this knife is no good (at all) — este cuchillo no sirve (para nada)
- is this any good to you? — ¿te sirve esto?
- what's the good of lying? — ¿para qué / de qué sirve mentir?
- are you any good at drawing? — ¿sabes dibujar?
- I'm no good at looking after children — yo no sirvo para cuidar niños
- this book is no good — este libro no vale nada
5(in phrases)for good — para siempre
- for good and all — de una vez por todas
6(merchandise)artículosmercancíasmercaderías South America(wagon/train) de carga British(depot) de mercancías(depot) de mercaderías South Americamanufactured goods — productos manufacturados
- knitted goods — artículos de punto
- stolen goods — artículos robados
- to come up with / deliver the goods — cumplir con lo prometido
- the singer really delivered the goods — la cantante estuvo a la altura de lo que se esperaba de ella
- to get/have the goods on sb — obtener/tener pruebas contra algn
7formal(merchandise, property)bienesall his worldly goods — todas sus posesiones
- goods and chattels — bienes muebles
2(well)biendid I do good, Pop? — ¿lo hice bien, papá?
3(thoroughly)biengo after that guy and fix him but good — sigue a ese tipo y dale una lección bien dada informal
- now you listen to me, and you listen good — ahora escúchame, pero escúchame bien
4a good hard slap — un buen bofetón
- a good sharp knife — un cuchillo bien afilado
- it's been a good long while since … — ha pasado su buen tiempo desde …
- you messed that up good and proper, didn't you? — metiste bien la pata, ¿no?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.