In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(benevolence)buena voluntad feminine(gesture/mission) conciliador
- The man himself puts everything down to the co-operation and goodwill of the stars.
- You are generous and giving as you share goodwill and hospitality with friends and loved ones.
- There is only so much advice, persuasion and goodwill a friend can give.
- There are no funds for this and the workshops are to be free so the donation of use of the venue would have to be a goodwill gesture.
- Both he and Sutherland said that some form of goodwill gesture needed to be made to the supporters.
- There is a lot of goodwill and support from friends and associates that is encouraging.
- Whatever the truth, this surely is a case where a gesture of goodwill would have been the appropriate course of action.
- Several firms have offered to give gift packs as well, as a gesture of goodwill.
- Police are joining in the season of goodwill by passing on friendly advice to motorway drivers rather than fining them.
- Mr Pitter said the company did so as a goodwill gesture and without pay.
- Hopes that as a gesture of goodwill the building would be given to the community was met with mild amusement.
- What was once given as a gesture of goodwill has become a moral obligation.
- It would have been easy to implement, and yet a grand gesture of political goodwill.
- Then they came back and offered a one per cent rise, which they told us was a gesture of goodwill.
- A light and playful rather than heavy and serious attitude brings success and goodwill.
- Christmas should be a time of peace and goodwill to all, a happy time to share with friends and family.
- Even if it is done in the spirit of goodwill and friendship it could be misconstrued.
- The big problem with this life is I'm blatantly dependent on other people's goodwill.
- Their position is, as it has been since then, dependent upon the goodwill of the people.
- Following a complaint from a member of the public, the council has now decided to retract the fines as a goodwill gesture.
2Finance Businessfondo de comercio masculinellave feminine Southern Cone
- In some cases, the only chargeable asset to transfer on incorporation is goodwill.
- This will be relevant if you buy the goodwill of the pub business as well as the building.
- In fact I appeared in the subsequent valuation test case which valued that goodwill.
- Others have sold at a loss, or at a figure which does not reflect the value of the goodwill.
- This figure took no account of goodwill and thus the ultimate damage to the company could have been greater.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.