- Since the goosefish is found very deep in the ocean it is a cold water fish.
- The goosefish is practically invisible lying flattened, with its darkly marbled skin matching the bottom color and the outline of its body obliterated by a fringe of branched skin flaps.
- A curious and unwary fish would become a meal when the goosefish inhaled and quickly engulfed its prey.
- In addition to being squat and rather ugly looking, goosefishes have a ‘fishing lure’ on top of their head.
- According to the study, some 8,600 tons of blackfin goosefish, roughly 15% of the total population of the species, were caught in just one season, in 2001.