In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The gorgons were three sisters, only one of whom, Medusa, was mortal.
- He goes on a quest to kill the gorgon Medusa and is helped by Hermes and Aphrodite.
- It was always my favorite, to read about Cyclopes, gorgons, heroes, and goddesses.
- Soon the holy image of the gorgon Medusa as an ancient symbol of female power and wisdom became totally unacceptable.
- Athena invented the flute in order to imitate the cries of gorgons after the death of Medusa.
2(fierce woman)arpía feminine
- Under the influence of all sorts of things, including real-life doctor drugs, I turned into a voracious drooling gorgon.
- In this case, since we were helping an office full of nice people, it was inevitable that we would run into a terrifying, multiheaded gorgon sooner or later.
- The words just slipped out; he certainly didn't mean to be a smart-ass - not when she was in this mood - but she gave him the gorgon's glare anyway.
- I drink expensive drinks, eat at chi-chi over-priced LES restaurants, shop like a gorgon from hell on a day-pass, and hell, I SMOKE.
- Politically loathsome as the character may be, the actress found herself inventing dialogue to humanise the gorgon.
- I bobbed my head around like I was a king pin ‘Your not a girl you're a gorgon.’
- As in Dickens, these are gorgons you love to hate: You laugh at how they appall you.
- She is a blonde gorgon just back from the hairdresser, and with a powerful voice to boot.
- 8pm - mother adopts persona of drunken gorgon from hell.
- However, because everyone else in the show talks about her like some terrifying gorgon that needs to be beheaded, Niles' invisible ex-wife casts a disproportional shadow over the entire series.
- The husky voice, the delivery, the winking humor, and the sly references to acting conventions gone by all suggested a bona-fide artiste, not just a painted gorgon.
- In fact, she was a wonderful contrast to some of the archive gorgons we had encountered over the years in military and political archives.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.