In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The observation that juvenile males disperse farther than juvenile females can be considered to be in line with the obviously common pattern of male-biased movements among juvenile birds in northern raptors, including goshawks.
- In addition, ten perching bird and eight raptor species, including Mexican spotted owls and goshawks, sometimes nest within these structures.
- Despite my constant presence, the shy but aggressive goshawks went about their vital business of rearing a family.
- From there she can watch red wattlebirds sip the indigo evening and goshawks, white as salt, hunt geckoes in the scrub, the sea a blue presence in her imaginings.
- The list contains red kites, golden eagles, ospreys, goshawks and even domestic cats.
- We only got two in the nets, but what we lacked in quantity, we made for in quality - a passage goshawk and a haggard red-tailed hawk.
- The gamekeeper, for a private shooting estate in the valley, faces 19 charges under the Wildlife Act, including 10 of killing rare peregrine falcons, goshawk and sparrowhawk.
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- As a result, seven additional nestling goshawks (three in 1996 and four in 1997) were not measured or banded; however, we still followed the fates of those birds throughout the study.
- This female was probably guarding one or two young goshawks nearby.
- Similarly shaped raptors, such as peregrine falcons and goshawks, are adept at the agile pursuit and rapid capture of birds in flight.
- It is a story from the news about their local ‘bird guy’ who must help goshawks, great-horned owls, sharp-shins and merlins as his daily work duties.
- The goshawk dropped from its perch and shot straight at me, somehow streaking through the trees without stirring a branch.
- The court heard that Hopkins, who has kept and bred falcons for 22 years, bought the goshawk after meeting a man at a falconry event.
- The security stakeout at a secret location in the Derwent Valley in Derbyshire aims to stop egg collectors raiding nests and killing protected species such as peregrine falcons and goshawks.
- About 35 members of the club's Yorkshire region are taking part in the three-day event during which they will be flying raptors such as peregrine falcon, Harris hawk and goshawk.
- There have been 68 incidents of egg theft, including those belonging to golden eagles, osprey, goshawk, and peregrine, as well as 33 cases of illegal taking and selling of birds of prey.
- The discovery of goshawk and sparrowhawk bones suggest that some vicars enjoyed the aristocratic sport of hawking in their spare time.
- Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, anyone who destroys or disturbs eggs, chicks or nests of birds such as goshawks and peregrines faces up to six months in jail and/or a fine of up to £5,000.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds says thieves are threatening to wipe out the population of rare goshawks and peregrine falcons in the Peak District.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.