In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1godo masculinegoda feminine
- Ironically, Ostia was to play a major part in the downfall of Rome when Alaric the Goth captured Ostia in AD 409 knowing that this would starve Rome of much needed food.
- Soon after 500, he served the court of Theodoric, king of the Goths, who ruled Italy.
- The triple line of fortifications constructed on the land side in the fifth century had held off attacks by Goths, Persians, Avars, Bulgars, Russians, and especially Arabs.
- In short, in the course of one evening, Busbecq was able to learn enough about Crimean Gothic to convince future linguists that its speakers were not Germans but a distinct group of Goths related to the Visigoths.
- Rome has just been sacked, the Goths are ravaging Italy and the western half of his empire, where Britain lies, has been supporting a pretender.
- What became of the eastern European Germanic Goths?
- Could those Crimeans really have been the last Goths, continuing to speak Ostrogothic for more than a thousand years after their kingdom fell?
- Sicily has endured invasion after invasion - Greeks, Phoenicians, Romans, Goths, Byzantines, Moors, Normans, Swabians, French and Spaniards have all had a pop at the island.
- They were granted this, but Roman officials exploited them and the Goths - that branch of them known as the Visigoths - rebelled under Emperor Valens.
- Boethius became head of all the government and court services under Theodoric, king of Italy and of the Goths.
- Finally, in 538, he received a foreign command when he was sent to Italy against the Goths.
- 500-900 AD - Byzantines used mounted archers and then a cavalry charge against the Saracens, Vandals, Goths and Franks.
- Scipio took it from the Carthaginians, and it remained Roman territory until A. D.412, when the Goths became masters of Spain.
- In the third century B.C., Scythians were displaced by Sarmatians, who in turn were overrun by waves of Germanic Goths.
- My God, if we don't leap up to condemn it, the Dark Ages are here again and the Goths, Visigoths and Vandals will run riot.
- His rule as king of the Goths and Romans in Italy was recognized by the eastern emperor Anastasius, Zeno's successor.
- After invasion and settlement by Goths, Visigoths, Turkmen, Arabs and others, it is almost impossible to see the Europeans and North Africans today as the direct heirs of those earlier people.
- Beginning in the third century A.D., tribes of Goths, Huns, and Avars invaded the region.
- By 540 it seemed that the Byzantines had won the war; but the administrators and tax collectors from the east soon provoked such discontent that the defeated Goths were able to launch another successful offensive.
- And the great lord who took them in might himself be a Goth or Burgundian.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.