In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural Governors General, Plural governors general
1(in British Commonwealth)Gobernador General masculineGobernadora General feminine
- The Governor General represented both the Queen and her British government, and he was always a Briton.
- In Singapore, in the late 1940s, he was the British Governor General for South East Asia and later in Kenya he had played the role of a diplomat.
- She is the youngest daughter of Lord Patten of Barnes, the 28th and last British Governor General of Hong Kong.
- The Governor General of India, Lord Louis Mountbatten, oversaw the provisional acceptance of Kashmir into the Indian union pending a plebiscite.
- Final confirmation of the reserve by the Governor General in Council has never been obtained.
- Brisbane will lead the international fleet into the harbour to be greeted by onlookers and reviewing officers, Prince Phillip and the Governor General.
- ‘It is with deep regret and after much thought that I have today advised the Prime Minister that I wish to resign from the office of Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia,’ he added.
- Brisbane will lead the review into the harbour, while it is expected the Governor General will be the reviewing officer.
- After coming to a decision, the members of the Cabinet Committee, or perhaps a senior member, signed the draft Order in Council, which was then presented to the Governor General for her signature.
- Our constitution was written when Queen Victoria ruled and the Governor General was her representative.
- In March 1904 the city council petitioned the Governor General for possession or control of the city water front.
- Although she can't force an election, the Governor General can advise the prime minister to dissolve Parliament and call a vote.
- Dame Catherine Tizard became New Zealand's first woman Governor General - the fourth female Governor-General in the Commonwealth.
- He'd met with the Governor General back in January to discuss the needs of underprivileged children and has so far received her esteemed stamp of approval.
- The Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister and the Governor General all asked the Singapore Government to grant him clemency, but Singapore's Cabinet rejected their pleas today.
- The first Governor General of British Bengal was appointed because he was well versed in Urdu and Persian.
2British(chief administrator)director general masculinedirectora general feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.