In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since very few trains circulated, graffiti artists started tagging and painting entire subway trains.
- Eggs and stones were hurled around, walls covered in graffiti and shoppers sworn at.
- I do not see graffiti sprayed on someone's garage or wall as creative.
- No-one knew how the graffito got there, and as those were the days before closed circuit cameras, no culprit was spotted and certainly the artist never claimed his work.
- Police have appealed for help in tracking down a mysterious graffiti artist spraying walls, garages and shops in Park South with a unique tag.
- Once inside, they sprayed graffiti on the walls and ceiling, and Mr MacDonald believes they smoked cannabis.
- Paramedics could not believe their eyes when they discovered yobs had sprayed graffiti over the side of one of their ambulances.
- On his right, the alley ended against a brick wall covered in purple graffiti.
- But now, after the club spent months renovating the site, vandals have covered the walls with graffiti.
- A classroom was trashed and walls were daubed with graffiti spray before the wooden library door was set alight.
- Various graffito was scrawled across the walls.
- We just returned from your city and were shocked by the criminal graffiti on every flat surface that has appeared in the last year.
- They would also be able to stop and search suspected graffiti artists for spray cans and marker pens, said Mr Denham.
- What can possibly be done to prevent graffiti being sprayed on every available surface?
- Last month the Evening Press backed a move by York Police to flush out graffiti vandals who daub walls and buildings in our city with their unsightly scrawl.
- Police in Swindon are urging residents to come forward with clues to help snare vandals who sprayed racist graffiti on walls in Old Town.
- In Cricklade, its store has had graffiti sprayed on the walls.
- Parks with elegant stone walls were covered with graffiti.
- Yesterday, I saw two workers patiently painting over the gold graffiti that had been sprayed on a wall of the metro platform.
- Most of the cells were dirty and the walls covered with graffiti.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.