In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural grammies, Plural Grammies, Plural Grammys
- He's won the standard accolades - you know, Grammys, Hall of Fame, and just about everyone can name one of his songs.
- Picking up a Grammy last year for the Americana album of the year was recognition of successes he has achieved with his wife Julie.
- Narrowly missing out on a Grammy award, Wait For Me doesn't sound too much like the blues I was brought up with.
- But the Grammys she won personally weren't the only awards Jones brought home for this album.
- It's been 20 years since Hay's band won the Grammy award for Best New Artist, and he's kept busy since.
- In February 1997, the album won a American Grammy Award as Best Musical Show Album.
- On top of their Grammy they've won three Great British Country Music Awards and two Dutch Country Music Awards.
- She won five, tying a record for most Grammys by a Female Writer.
- He recently won his fifth Grammy award following the release of Mambo Birdland.
- It also turns out it's the first time a recording financed for a commercial has been nominated for a Grammy.
- Short performed often at the White House and won three Grammys.
- He left the club in May last year to form his band Dirty Vegas and has just picked up a Grammy, the American music industry's equivalent of an Oscar.
- His 1982 album ‘Thriller’ won a record eight Grammies and is the best selling album of all time.
- She has sold over 25 million records worldwide and won three Grammys.
- These people will never win Emmys, Grammys, Oscars or knighthoods because their work fits outside of the acceptable social code.
- Ruben is up for a Grammy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.