In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sincere sympathy is extended to her sisters, brothers-in-law, sisters - in-law, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews, grand-nieces, relatives and friends on their sad loss.
- She was a great favourite with her many relatives especially her nephews, nieces, grand-nephews and grand-nieces.
- The gathering included nephews, nieces, grand-nephews and grand-nieces, many other relatives, close friends and neighbours.
- I have about twenty-eight nephews and nieces and about eighteen grand-nephews and nieces, and some of them live, at least outwardly, similar lives to mine.
- Annie has been asked to take care of her grand-niece and grand-nephew for the summer because their parents are moving to London and need time to get themselves settled.
- This tradition is still carried on by his nephew, Ronan Galvin, and his grand-nephew Breffini O'Donnell.
- The founder's grand-nephew and the biggest shareholder, William Adams, saw the value of his stake rise last week to $90.6 million.
- Joy fetched a photograph and told the story of Hugh's grand-nephew who holds a White House position.
- Her passing is much regretted in her neighbourhood and she will be deeply mourned by her sister Nellie, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews, grand-nieces and a wide circle of other family and friends.
- Philip Joyce, a grand-nephew of the author, walked more than 160 miles over five days to attend the famous breakfast gathering.
- He's Theo's great-grandson, i.e., Vincent's great grand-nephew.
- Julius is killed by his senate, but names an unknown grand-nephew as his heir, rather than his right-hand-man, Mark Antony, as was expected.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.