In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gran ópera feminine
- In 1927 Sauguet also started to work on his first grand opera La Chartreuse de Parme, based on Stendhal's great novel, which he was not to finish until 1936.
- Though it is not a grand opera, it is by no means a weak work and when Handel presented in Dublin (in concert form as a serenata) it went down a storm.
- Within two years he produced his first grand opera, Rienzi.
- Donizetti had already written two grand operas for Paris, Les Martyrs and La Favorite, but Dom Sébastien is his grandest and longest (four hours, including intervals, at Covent Garden).
- What appealed to you enough about Columbus to write two grand operas about him?
- It has all the elements of a grand opera with a historically spectacular plot, good characterization, some memorable musical moments and taxing roles for its main characters.
- The opera laid the historical groundwork for Boris Godunov, Khovanshchina and a host of ensuing historically-based Russian grand operas.
- The people love their cities - the concerts in the park in summer, the grand operas, the canals along the promenade where children sail gaily colored toy boats.
- Although Der Cid has elements in common with Lohengrin, it can stand independently as one of the most remarkable German grand operas of the day.
- The director is John Caird, whose experience in the ‘straight’ theatre encourages him to give an unusually uncluttered, economical and direct account of this grandest of grand operas.
- The festival has staged everything from grand operas to modern Broadway and West End shows and has also provided a forum for original shows.
- This opera certainly deserves to be performed more than it is, although its length as a grand opera probably gives companies pause.
- Though Zhang has never directed a ballet before, he has crossed over into different performing art forms on other projects, as in 1997 and 1998, when he directed the grand opera Turandot in Italy and in Beijing's Forbidden City.
- Verdi originally conceived it as a grand opera in French for Paris, in 1855, with a libretto by Scribe and Duveyrier.
- The rest of the set is full of party pieces with exhilarating recordings of the Bizet suites, overtures by Hérold, Auber, Thomas and the obligatory ballet music by Gounod and Berlioz from the grand operas.
- It is only the first of the delights of this enjoyable set that Carmen is here restored as a grand opera.
- He later likened taking the post to becoming ‘the impresario of a two-billion-dollar grand opera with thousands of temperamental stars in all walks of life.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.