In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sightseeing trip)tour masculine
2Historyviaje de recorrido por Europa masculine
- He made the grand tour of Europe in 1853 and came home to Cincinnati to paint romantic Italianate landscapes.
- At this time it was customary for the sons of the top people to make a grand tour of Europe as part of finishing their education.
- His parents had prospered in the colony and were able to give their son a good education, which included a grand tour of Britain and Europe while he was still in his teens.
- The upper-class tradition of the grand tour with travel seen as heightening knowledge and experience had a powerful effect on the organization of exploration and the way it was written up.
- For eighteen months, as Sir Humphrey's personal assistant, he travelled with him on a grand tour of Europe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.