In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- However, being derived from a car designed to be driven by granddads in hats there's no shortage of headroom in the front, while being a four-door saloon it's quite commodious for average size adults in the back too.
- My grandad died when I was two.
- Both granddad and grandson were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and David had also injured his foot after the jump from the top of the house but they had made it.
- His late great grandfather, Tom, was a terrific character, his grandad Tommy is the well known army man and his dad, Tomas, with his distinctive pony tail, is a really charming man also.
- Aunties and uncles, grandmas and grandads all lived within walking distance and it was true to say that friends and family were one and the same.
- And maybe the grandads in the crowd will fill in the details of his illustrious career to the younger generations, so they fully recognise the fabulous contribution this genial Irishman brought to the famous Lancashire football club.
- Thirty-five mums, dads, grannies and granddads went back to school last Monday as part of By Brook Valley's Bring Your Family to School Day.
- Barbara is one of a growing number of grandmas and grandads who attend martial arts sessions in north Manchester in a bid to stay healthy and learn skills to defend themselves if necessary.
- She then carried on to talk about both my granddads and knew that one was alive and one was dead.
- Grandmoms (and granddads too) are indeed great people…
- My brother and I, both under six, clapped our hands together with glee and shouted ‘again, grandad, again!’
- Congratulations to all the proud mothers, fathers, grannies and granddads who have been part of the recent baby boom in the village.
- The family motif includes the audience too, with whole coach parties of kids, mums, dads, grannies and grandads visiting the theatre together - surely something of a rarity today.
- It is a family pool full of mums, dads, grandmas, granddads and children, it is absolutely marvellous.
- He was great pal of my granddad apparently, so my gran tells me.
- We lived across the street from my grandparents next to my granddad's pig farm.
- Every need is catered for from young children to grans and grandads.
- My favourite picture in the whole house is the one of my grandad with my grandma, of when they were young.
- She turned to her grandfather and asked: ‘Which way shall I cut the tomato, granddad?’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.