In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- My daughter drops off my granddaughter on a regular basis and is now very late getting to work due to the traffic jams in this area.
- Ann said: ‘I am looking to pass the skills I pick up to my granddaughters.’
- I've made several trips to San Diego… the most recent of which was to meet my brand-new granddaughter!
- His wife, four daughters and three granddaughters accompanied him.
- Charles and Victoria went on to have one daughter, three granddaughters and nine great-grandchildren, through the reign of four monarchs.
- She loved her grandchildren and spent many hours with her granddaughters when they were growing up.
- He is also looking forward to spending more time with his two granddaughters, twins Leona and Ciara, who are three-and-a-half years old.
- I have 11 grandsons and five granddaughters and now I have my first great-granddaughter.
- I was blessed with three daughters, two granddaughters and a grandson.
- With that said I think I'll stop right here and take in lunch and a movie with my daughter and granddaughters.
- Cheney's got a brand new grandson and three little granddaughters who are just beautiful.
- A widow since 1978, she has one daughter and two granddaughters and a wide range of interests to keep her busy.
- We can pass our gifts on to our granddaughters and great granddaughters.
- Katie, one of my granddaughters, has a doll's house.
- Mrs Parry said she sees her retirement as a new chapter, when she hopes to do some travelling and, above all devote more time to her granddaughters, Hannah and Rebecca.
- Billy is married to Florence and has a son, two grandsons, a granddaughter and two great grandchildren.
- Forty years on, Benson is happily married with two daughters and a granddaughter.
- It is mine and it always will be until such time as it is handed down to my daughter and my granddaughter.
- For ages, grandmothers educated granddaughters and mothers taught daughters, usually orally.
- Two Picasso paintings worth a total of €50m have been stolen from the Paris home of the artist's granddaughter, it emerged yesterday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.