In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(en una casa de familia) apartamento independiente masculine
- He said the delay on the application, to build a roof extension and granny flat on a house in York, is the longest he has ever known.
- Subject to planning permission, this could be converted into a self-contained granny flat, home gym or games room.
- From here there is access to the extension, which is used as a self-contained granny flat and has its own front door.
- He and his wife, who died last year, lived in a granny flat at the property.
- The castle also comes complete with a granny flat and a two-bedroomed lodge.
- We recently got permission for a granny flat in the garden and there are protected trees.
- The house itself is very well maintained with four bedrooms and a granny flat attached.
- Liz walked into the kitchen and through into a granny flat that was attached to the house.
- Number 3 is another large house but it has been divided up so that the top floor provides a separate granny flat, with its own internal front door but sharing the street door with the rest of the house and using the internal stairs for access.
- There is an old lady living in a granny flat at the top of the house and one of the conditions of buying the lease is that they leave her there to see out her days.
- Attached to this cottage is a one-bed, self-contained apartment that can be used for extra rental income or as a granny flat.
- He said: ‘There are proposals to use the extension area as a granny flat, but the plans show it would be self-contained.’
- The application, to add extra rooms and a granny flat to a house in Mount Vale, York, was first submitted in September 2001.
- The granny flat is an extension that can be entered by two doors from the hallway and it is quite private and separate from the rest of the house.
- In addition to three reception rooms and four bedrooms, it boasts a self-contained granny flat, a two-story mews and extensive parking for six cars.
- The property also features a walled garden and many extras, including a granny flat to the rear.
- This area is currently being used as an office but ideally can be converted to a granny flat to provide extra accommodation.
- Although laid out as a family room, large study and a bar, the area is versatile and, with plumbing for hot and cold water, would be suitable for conversion into a self-contained granny flat.
- The house has four bedrooms, several public rooms, a snooker room and a conservatory, as well as a three-bedroom granny flat overlooking extensive gardens.
- Helen has applied to the council for permission to construct a granny flat extension.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.