In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Furthermore, the weight of the inertia parts unnecessarily increases the weight of the whole grapnel.
- To obviate this, grapnels have been devised which, simultaneously with hooking the cable, will cut it and hold the desired end.
- Cut and hold grapnels raise cable for repair from deep water.
- A wide variety of chain/wire chasers and grapnels are available, in addition to those illustrated below.
- They would have three good ships for cutting grapnels and holding grapnels, so that they could buoy and lift the cable in three parts.
- Several grapnels were hurled onto the deck from the patrol boat, latching onto to side rails and other parts of the hull.
- This entails digging down around the mine so that a grapnel can be attached and the mine pulled out of the ground my men under cover.
- A fresh wind was blowing so that it was impossible to work from a small boat tightly strained between two grapnels, in which manner the Norwegian current measurements were generally taken.
- The grapnels in high strength aluminum alloy can be projected to a height of minimum 50 m and horizontally to a minimum of 80 metres.
- Apertures for grapnels will be cut by divers.
- The collapsible grapnel is a hand-thrown grapnel hook that is used for climbing, removing mines and other objects, and pulling concertina and barbed wire obstacles.
- Instantly dazzled, I scurry along to the top of a bed at the very end, by the corner, where a petrol lamp jingles unnoticed from a ceiling grapnel.
- Additionally I have found that the typical grapnel often does not provide sufficient holding power.
- Many of the grapnels never reached the top because they were soaked and too heavy.
- With the grapnel and rope attached to its antlers the animal struggles to get loose and breaks the rope, but not before it pulls the hydrofloat over to a wooden dock.
- The skipper rigs a 45m line with a grapnel to place it as close to the bridge as possible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.