In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If she had a rope she could make a grappling hook or something.
- The man in front was standing, brandishing a grappling hook over his head, preparing to hook to the stone wall.
- One squad fired grappling hooks inside the cave complex, then pulled it back out the entrance, a technique used to detonate any booby traps.
- He took a rope with a grappling hook out of his pack.
- His thumb placed pressure on a specific button on the side of the object, launching a grappling hook into the air.
- He took his sword and cut the rope of the grappling hook.
- Facing forward again, Jeremy quickly grabbed a grappling hook attached to a rope that was tied to his pack.
- All he had to do now was to ‘borrow’ some rope and a grappling hook, and he would enter the palace.
- I had a rope with a grappling hook, just in case I needed to escape over some tall walls if Cale decided to chase after me.
- He used a home-made grappling hook and rope to scale the 30-foot wall.
- He had handed the flashlight to Fred who was now shining it in the direction of the grappling hook and rope.
- They were bereft of actual grappling hooks and climbing tools.
- I was about to speak when a grappling hook shot up and hooked onto the rail.
- The planks and grappling irons were removed and The Relentless sailed away.
- Breaking off, Sean maneuvered his ship next to the freighter, and fired grappling hooks, pulling the freighter in to board.
- Now, if she had a grappling hook, it would be a different story…
- How they land is still a mystery, but evidently claws on their back legs act like grappling hooks to snag the trunk and hang on.
- Eagerly, he pulled out the climbing rope and the grappling hook.
- Once there, they will assault the granite island with inflatables and grappling irons.
- They threw a grappling hook over to Nikki's roof.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.