In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ordinary members)(opinion/support) de las basesthe grass roots — las bases
- at grass roots level — a nivel de las bases
- The never married 36 year old's strong fight for the traditional definition of marriage could play well among a lot of the grass roots members.
- However, the figures suggest that those grass roots party members who chose to vote did so against the trade union line.
- The leadership needs to hear first-hand what grass-roots members are thinking.
- Of the grass-roots membership of the party, a clear majority appears to be on the left.
- A spokesman said any decision would have to be made by the grass roots members of both unions.
- Which leaves it up to the grass roots party members to try and keep the campaign honest.
- A report on discussions with grass-roots members in September 1968 revealed the extent of the problem.
- It is a long process, but one that allows the grass-roots members of the Association to fully participate in its legislative agenda.
- Bernadette had to wade through the murky waters of bureaucracy as well as reach out to the local NGO community, and grass-roots citizens.
- The idea of the rule change was to give greater input to ordinary grass-roots Conservative party members.
- I mean, the people on those bodies are democratically elected and the grass roots membership of the party chooses who goes on those various bodies.
- A true strategy would take into account many more issues and would be developed with the involvement of grass-roots membership.
- The Democrats wrote new rules designed to give control to grass-roots party members.
- Each of the main parties contains a fair range of opinion among its MPs and grass roots members and it is discussion of these differing views that leads to the formulation of policy.
- The executive, the state management and also the grass roots members that we've had contact with, support her.
- The meeting felt that the grass roots of the party should have a say in the election of party leader and the decision on a long-term leader should not be rushed into.
2(source)raíz femininecrime should be combated at the grass roots — la delincuencia debería atacarse de raíz
- Political action at the grass-roots level also took off.
- If we succeed, we will have succeeded in making our law available much more widely to the public and those who advise them at grass-roots level.
- I think we're very efficient at the grass-roots level.
- They do this while reading it religiously and, I'll warrant, using it as a way of keeping tabs on how various stories are playing, especially at the grass-roots level.
- Rugby union's done a lot of that, particularly at grass-roots level.
- ‘If there is ever going to be peace, it has to start at the grass-roots level, not with governments,’ she said.
- Local government officers have made unsung efforts to start ‘community cohesion’ initiatives at grass-roots level.
- As one of Scotland's few indigenous games, we should be cheered by its enduring popularity, and its belated efforts to encourage more participation at grass-roots level.
- It is a situation that is increasingly worrying to doctors at the grass-roots level.
- First, at the grass-roots level, political correctness fails to teach children that sportsmanship and self-development are the lasting lessons of competition.
- The period bred fear of widespread unrest, sparked by rivalry among political powers wielding support at the grass-roots level.
- Promoting psychology in the community means psychologists must be involved members of the community, active and visible at the grass-roots level.
- The Prime Minister said he wanted to create a partnership between Whitehall and individuals and organisations at the grass-roots level.
- Activity in the U.K. and Australia is at the grass-roots level, although some promising movements toward greater public and professional awareness have begun.
- Basic legislative knowledge, while intimidating at times, is paramount to our success at the grass-roots level.
- You would not believe the dedication for this company that exists at grass-roots level, and though we are the little people - we ALL make a crucial difference.
- There are two other senior sides, one under-18 team, and 10 junior teams that deliver competitive football at grass-roots level.
- The effects of the changes which have taken place in higher education have undoubtedly been felt at grass-roots level, in law schools just as much as elsewhere in the academy.
- Even with the stress now on community participation and need-based programmes at the grass-roots level, conditions have not improved much.
- At the grass-roots level, for every shopkeeper boarded up there will be a pub or hamburger stall doing a roaring trade.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.