In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agradecido(smile/glance) de gratitud(smile/glance) de agradecimiento(smile/glance) agradecidoto be grateful ( to sb) ( for sth/ -ing )
- I'm very grateful to you for your advice — le agradezco mucho sus consejos
- I'd be so grateful if you could do it — te agradecería tanto que lo hicieras
- just be grateful for what you've got! — ¡da gracias (a Dios) por lo que tienes!
- I should be grateful if you would send me ... — le agradecería (que) me enviara ...
- Justice has been done and we are all so grateful to the police officers down there in Devon who have worked so hard.
- The tokens may be dropped in to the school and we would be grateful of your support.
- If you have one hour free a week we would be grateful for your help with Community Games.
- There are too many of you to email back personally, but I am very, very grateful.
- The committee are very grateful to all who helped in the field and with the teas and in the shop.
- She is also very appreciative of what you do for her and is grateful for my interest.
- I guess we all knew this was coming, and I am grateful that it seems to be so well managed and controlled.
- So if anyone has got any tips as to how I can calm my nerves before or during the flight I'd be very grateful.
- When they reached their destination they gave their chocolate eggs to grateful parents.
- I know some of you have made heroic efforts to get here, and we are very grateful and appreciative of that.
- If anyone can tell me how to change the font for headings, I would be grateful.
- Every year a large number of people come out and help and we are grateful for your support.
- Equally I am grateful for the support he has received from many of your readers.
- We are grateful for the support we have received from family, friends and the local community.
- From time to time I put out a plea for help in this column and was so grateful for the responses.
- Leaving the island at the end of the week, I was grateful for the chance to visit such a beautiful place.
- The committee would be grateful for your help in hosting a table or being a guest on the night.
- He is deeply grateful to all who sent him best wishes and were so kind and generous.
- To be offered a treat such as freshly baked shortbread is sure to raise a grateful smile.
- He was not disappointed and said he was grateful for the support of his family and staff.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.