In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(beach) de grava(soil) pedregosoa gravelly voice — una voz bronca / áspera
- During our dry season visits, sandy and gravelly beaches lined most of the river, although water levels rose above the beaches during heavy rains.
- In Washington, they favor degraded or otherwise gravelly soils.
- A rowboat was beached on the gravelly shore and abandoned there.
- Non-cohesive soils include silty, sandy, and gravelly soils in which there is no cohesion except that derived from any minor amount of clay matrix or from water tension between particles.
- The soil is light and gravelly, and chiefly under tillage: agriculture is improving, and there is a considerable quantity of bog and limestone.
- The region's distinctive gravelly soils lend themselves to some of New Zealand's top reds, particularly Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and - the new star, Syrah.
- Fairly well drained, rocky or gravelly soil is the Laurel's natural preference.
- Texture of the fine-earth fraction is silt loam or loam with gravelly or very gravelly modifiers.
- This cactus typically grows in gravelly clay or loam soils, partially shaded by other plants or rocks.
- It was difficult to find: the road shown was not a road but a track, unused, winding behind a cottage with the requisite dog watching curiously as we drove up a gravelly slope.
- They require a sandy or gravelly substrate for nesting near a wet or muddy area where they can forage.
- The 4 km of beachfront in the park varies from rocky, gravelly, to sandy.
- A low cliff on one bank, with an otter's holt at its foot, betrayed by a crab graveyard, on our side a gravelly shore undercutting the peat moor.
- If the pond is located in sandy or gravelly soils or near fractured bedrock, seal the pond with an approved plastic liner or at least 6 inches of compact clay.
- Much of this carpet of herbs is on shallow gravelly and stony soils, too poor for buffel, or under mulga trees.
- Most of his soils are a gravelly sandy loam known as Aura, well drained and with 15% clay.
- While organic matter or topsoil could be used alone, a sandy or gravelly soil is improved more if you add both organic matter and topsoil than if you add either material alone.
- It's a mixture of soils from the site, some more gravelly, some more clay-like.
- The bed has limited sun and our soil is light and gravelly.
- The Avilla series consists of very deep, well drained, moderately permeable soils that formed in gravelly and loamy alluvium.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.