In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Florida he swam with dolphins, symbolised by two stone dolphins carved at the top of his gravestone.
- A number of other gravestones have been similarly marked.
- Inscriptions on modern gravestones tell us nothing about the people they are supposed to commemorate, he says.
- Granite is a lasting stone - ideal for monuments like gravestones.
- But in the past couple of weeks he has noticed that gravestones have been broken, there are tyre marks on the grass and that the whole area is looking untidy.
- As I round the corner one of the large banners, untethered at the bottom, billows in the wind, revealing a glimpse of old gravestones in the churchyard.
- When visiting a Jewish cemetery, it is customary to place a stone on the gravestone in memory of the deceased.
- No one has taken responsibility for the gravestones over the years, some of the monuments were eight or nine feet high.
- Already some dilapidated gravestones have been laid flat as a temporary measure by staff checking the stability of memorials across the city.
- Jack has visited the battlefields on the Somme on numerous occasions and he presented a slide show showing some of the military cemeteries and gravestones.
- There are gravestones in the cemetery that date back 80 years.
- Police were called to the scene on Friday and discovered the gravestone lying at the side of the grave with the headstone turned down in the earth.
- But some gravestones are more than 100 years old and the people responsible for many modern ones cannot be traced.
- Being based on medieval gravestones and Irish history it is a fairly accurate description of the history of this small corner of Ireland.
- Vandals desecrated a 17th century graveyard when they sprayed white and gold graffiti on two ancient gravestones.
- Relatives visiting loved ones' graves thought vandals had struck when they arrived to see scores of gravestones knocked to the ground.
- The council hopes to be able to provide funds to reinstate gravestones and memorials at council cemeteries which were laid flat on safety grounds recently.
- DO you know what your partner wants to have inscribed on their gravestone?
- The gravestones were simply made of grey stone and the inscriptions seemed to be short.
- There are gravestones sinking and falling in the ground.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.