In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When he discovered what Clara had done, her father - my great-grandfather - cut her off immediately.
- It is a well-worn path, because his great-grandfather, his grandfather and his father were all policemen.
- The self-regard of these populations, he was convinced, would condemn them to the same fate as their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers.
- My father, my grandfather and great-grandfathers were musicians.
- His great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and older brother Ned were physicians.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.