In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for food, drink)(person/animal) glotón(person/animal) angurriento Southern Coneyou greedy pig! — ¡mira que eres angurriento! Southern Cone
- It's partly the result, he says, of our endless greedy appetite for the good things of life.
- "She is a very greedy dog and will eat anything given the chance."
- Doctors know that the vast majority of fat people are the way they are because of their sustained greedy eating habits.
- Dennis groped his greedy hands over the box of food that Adrian had kept so securely beside him.
- My Cat is really greedy and ate a dish of hot curry I had left on the counter.
- Franklin had a great time - laughing his head off at all the greedy birds arguing over his cheerios.
- Living and moving as part of a much larger flock, starlings can also be notoriously greedy birds which is a reason why they are often not as popular with bird lovers over other species as they tend to swoop for food as a flock and leave next to nothing for other birds.
- "I'm never going to be a greedy pig again Sam, I promise."
- This should theoretically keep the squirrel from being able to climb the pole, although especially greedy squirrels have been known to get past them.
- Squirrels, badgers, dormice, and larger animals such as deer are greedy for it.
- The blackcurrant bush is alive with the wings and chirps of greedy blackbirds gorging themselves.
- "I made two bowls, because I know you guys are so greedy."
- The youngest of the elves is very greedy.
- The dog is very greedy and is eating all of his food!
- I know these creatures are noisy, greedy, messy and will take the ice cream cone right out of your hand but I still love them.
2(for power, wealth)to be greedy for sth — tener ansias / estar ávido de algo
- greedy speculators — especuladores rapaces
- Invest in what you know or understand and don't be too greedy.
- They are sometimes pugilistic, invariably dominant, and often greedy for power.
- Therefore many greedy landlords do not do repairs, unless forced to.
- Thus, banks became greedy, taking on huge risks in hopes of even bigger rewards.
- People calling us greedy have no idea what has been involved - we work very hard for our living.
- Property developers are greedy and want to build as many houses as they can and make a lot of money without thinking of the consequences.
- She was greedy for power, and didn't let morals get in the way of her pursuit of it.
- When he goes home he visits schools and orphanages; hardly the actions of a greedy and selfish man.
- In fact our rulers are greedy for even more to go into their pockets at our expense.
- Anthony had been the one who was greedy for his family's wealth wanting to use it for his own ends.
- Players are becoming greedy for money and attention and they don't seem to care about forming a great team.
- It shows moreover that most ordinary people are not innately selfish and greedy.
- You have to accept that human beings are essentially greedy, and motivated by the pursuit of wealth.
- Some of the companies are still being run as greedy, petty fiefdoms.
- The present system is teaching our children to be greedy for personal glory.
- It is being greedy because it is taking the wealth off the people who created it.
- The trick is probably not to be too greedy.
- The other view, of course, is of the angry worker, portrayed as greedy and selfish during strikes.
- He said, as a nation people had become so greedy that they had lost their love of the environment and failed to protect it.
- It isn't hard to look around and see examples of greedy people, people who love money.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.