In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ladybirds are well known predators of greenflies and other aphids.
- Natural enemies of greenflies are ladybird larvae, hoverfly larvae, gall-fly larvae, lacewings and earwigs.
- Wipe greenfly off plants with your fingers or spray plants with soft soap or a pesticide containing pirimicarb.
- For safe and effective control of greenfly a range of products can be used.
- Fortunately ladybirds love to eat greenfly and they can help the gardener to control them without having to use chemical sprays which can also kill helpful insects.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.