In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A lovely vale of greensward called Princes Street Gardens separates the two towns, and several bridges span the shallow valley.
- While some may chose to spend that season lazing beside rivers and quaffing champagne, the more discerning amongst us elect for the greensward and the thrill of clattering wickets.
- Each of Ponce de Leon's parks is distinct in its landscaping; the parks range from relatively open greenswards to nearly impenetrable woods.
- Down below, the hotel grounds feature a pair of tennis courts and some of the loveliest greenswards and gardens in the country.
- Whether your backyard is a postage stamp balcony in a city high-rise or a rolling spread of suburban greensward, you can enjoy the fun, fashion and creativity of a container flower garden.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.