In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(spoken)saludo masculineas interjection greetings! — ¡buenas! informal
- There were no goodbyes; there never really were goodbyes in Mongolia, no polite greetings and no long farewells.
- ‘Good afternoon,’ he said, quickly getting the polite greeting out of the way.
- Their greeting was coolly polite with an undercurrent of dislike.
- The sprightly, grey-haired woman, it seems, meets everyone who walks in the door with the same enthusiastic greeting.
- We filed into the church with gentle greetings to friends and neighbors.
- Some stopped what they were doing to stare openly, others just waved or shouted a greeting and returned to work.
- Jumping out of Chris' two-door black mustang they shouted greetings to their friends and started going their separate ways.
- Kishi walked out of the classroom, absent-mindedly waving and mumbling a greeting to those who called to her.
- Joe smiled and called out a greeting whereas Colin only acknowledged her appearance with a quick grunt.
- Melvin approached from behind her, and murmured a polite greeting.
- The guard scanned each of them thoroughly, then returned the polite greeting.
- Theresa will be greatly missed by her many friends and neighbours as she always had a kind word and a greeting for everyone.
- Fortunately for me, Daniel spots me coming and shouts a greeting before I'm even close.
- Arrive a little early, make sure you're neatly dressed, and step forward with a polite greeting and handshake.
- Children shouted greetings in English, learned from their new American friends.
- I calmly acknowledge all the greetings with a wave or smile and continue towards my locker.
- When I answered the door, my polite greeting was cut off by him pushing past me roughly.
- Almost everybody waved and said hi to Roxie, who returned the greeting, beaming.
- Cecil greeted her and she returned his greeting with a smile and a kiss on the cheek.
- The occasional car went past, usually with groups of men inside, some ignoring the convoy, others hooting their horns, smiling and waving a greeting.
2(message)she sends you her greetings — te manda saludos
- birthday/Christmas greetings — feliz cumpleaños/Navidad
- greetings from London — recuerdos desde Londres
- before noun a greeting/greetings card/telegram — una tarjeta/un telegrama de felicitación
- Thank you to y'all who left me birthday greetings - they made me feel all warm and fuzzy!
- Birthday greetings come to Rosari from all her family in Waterford and Limerick.
- Christmas greetings were heard in many languages, kisses were exchanged on both cheeks and a general feeling of bonhomie was present among the crowd.
- Warm greetings to Indian Americans across our country as you observe the festival of Diwali.
- With this, I'll end my first post and send you all warm greetings from cold rainy Germany.
- Just before we begin, a quick thank you to Chuck for the birthday greetings, and to Chris for the gift.
- My sincere greetings and respects to the people of Grimethorpe and to the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.
- Warm greetings to all my parliamentary colleagues and to my family and friends here today.
- Birthday greetings this week go to Declan Patton, who has now reached the ripe old age of 31.
- Season's greetings to all our readers at home and overseas.
- Also celebrating his birthday recently was Tony and Olive's son, Glen and we wish him belated greetings.
- Season greetings: Everyone is wished a happy Christmas and thanks is sent for all your help during the year.
- One photo takes pride of place in her sitting room - one of her and Mark with special greetings to his granny on her birthday.
- Belated birthday greetings are extended to Daniel Baker who celebrated his 7th birthday on Thursday, September 9.
- NEW Year greetings to all our readers and best wishes for the year ahead.
- And I just realised I probably won't post again in 2001, so this is by way of being a New Year's greeting to all of you out there who read this.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.