In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1coordenadas cartográficas feminine
- The mother's address on the child's birth certificate was postcoded and given a geographical grid reference.
- The operator can punch an OS grid reference straight into his/her computer terminal and pinpoint your location.
- Surveyors are asked to report any sightings of the ladybird, along with its location and, if possible, a grid reference or postcode.
- A grid reference is given to every postcode and when police issue an alert it will be possible to pinpoint the distribution area.
- Greenpeace campaigners recently destroyed trial fields and the government has issued only a six-figure grid reference to identify the fields in which the trials were taking place.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.