In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The horrified owners of a popular bakery today told of their shock at being caught up in York's grisly double murder hunt.
- Detectives have been called in after a three-year-old girl made a grisly discovery on the doorstep of her York home.
- By and large we know the sort of thing to expect, however grisly.
- The grisly work of recovering the bodies floating in the streets and houses of New Orleans has begun.
- Jurors were spared much of the gory detail in the case, but the horrific nature of the crime and the grisly aftermath was hard to avoid.
- There are several grisly murders involved, but fortunately the emphasis is not on the gore but on the characters.
- What strange obsession drives the authors of grisly true-crime books?
- It was a particularly grisly murder case and one that understandably shook the veteran blues man to his core.
- The more garishly grisly the story becomes, the paler its credibility.
- Despite the rather grisly subject matter, it is a fascinating subject.
- Shots were being fired from the tower in every direction as we approached the grisly scene.
- This structure works well, and a grisly but fascinating story begins to emerge.
- This opening scene sets the tone for a grisly, gory and sometimes comic werewolf horror film.
- This is the man police believe could hold the key to the grisly murder of two men, whose battered bodies were found in a York bedsit.
- Tony also works as a forensic archaeologist for Glasgow police, and has worked on what he described as grisly murder cases.
- The grisly discoveries mean even more tension in areas shaken by an insurgent uprising.
- The first grisly find was a dead body inside a car.
- He was determined not to suffer the same grisly fate and kept walking until he found a remote abandoned log cabin where he made his home.
- The story of secrecy, scientific ethics and national security is macabre, grisly and disturbing.
- My plea also goes out to the parents of the ones doing these grisly acts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.