In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1molienda feminineto be grist to the mill
- it's all grist to the mill — todo ayuda
- Also buried here is a son, Sherwood White, who operated a grist mill on Second Creek a few miles west of Rogersville.
- Census of 1861 reported that there were 13 flour and grist mills operating in Simcoe County.
- The owners of early 19 th-century New England grist mills were usually rather prosperous men, and like most of the population at that time, the majority were farmers.
- The reintroduction of a deeply resented tax on grist in the former papal provinces of Emilia and Romagna provoked widespread unrest in the late 1860s.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.