In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Air threats will be countered by ground-to-air missiles and by Canadian fighter jet patrols.
- Once exposed, the stealth aircraft would be easy prey for convential ground-to-air missiles.
- The statement, the authenticity of which could not be verified, said the plane was hit "head on" with a ground-to-air SAM - 7 missile.
- The enemy will use asymmetric means to counter American aerospace power, including concealment among the population, constant movement, and portable ground-to-air weapons.
- The Royal Artillery (the drop-shorts to us infanteers) has been using a ground-to-air missile called Javelin for donkeys years.
- All the aircraft will have "passive receiving" sensors that will pick up signals if a ground-to-air missile like the SAM or Stinger or even an air-to-air missile (from another aircraft) is fired at it.
- There are no heavy machine guns, no anti-aircraft guns, no ground-to-air missiles, not even rocket-propelled grenades.
- There is a perceived threat of ground-to-air capability by the enemy.
- The ground-to-air missiles, according to Jane's Defence, are "obsolescent" with "more propaganda than practical value".
- Those flares are designed in case it's a ground-to-air missile that it takes the missiles off their targets.
- He activated ground-to-air missile systems to deter inspection flights.
- Nine RAF personnel and one soldier died when their Hercules transport plane was hit by ground-to-air fire, causing an explosion in one of its fuel tanks.
- "There is no indication that we have seen that the enemy is employing any form of advanced ground-to-air missile," he said.
- The force will have to confront groups that are very well equipped, notably with ground-to-air missiles and armoured vehicles.
- He was then given command of the RAF's first Bloodhound ground-to-air missile squadron.
- A Board of Inquiry found that hostile ground-to-air fire had caused an explosion in the right-hand wing tank which tore part of the wing away, causing the crash.
- Third, even if you have a rough idea of where the plane might be, it is still far from "easy prey for convential ground-to-air missiles".
- Ground-to-air small arms fire pierced one of the craft's tanks, which exploded, blowing off a wing.
- The ability to destroy or suppress the plethora of ground-to-air threats constitutes another strength.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.