In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1roletazo masculinerola femininerolling masculine Venezuela
- With a runner on first base, the batter hits a ground ball to shortstop, who tosses the ball to the second baseman covering the bag for a force out.
- A sinker-slider pitcher, he averaged 2.5 ground balls for each fly ball last year.
- A guy hits a fly ball or a ground ball, it may give you a chance to move the runner over or the other team a chance to make a mistake.
- He no doubt will preach the merits of a well-timed fly ball or a ground ball rather than the home run the Cardinals depend on far too much.
- I struck him out the first time up and then he got a ground ball base hit past Rose at second base.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.