In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1marmota de América feminine
- At least 3 woodchucks / groundhogs are reputed to predict the weather.
- Is it a groundhog, a gopher, a badger or a rabbit?
- He mentioned in passing that as a kid here he could tell the difference between the footprints of foxes, groundhogs and raccoons.
- Records of the groundhogs ' predictions have been kept since 1887.
- When the groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil was pulled from his fake tree trunk in Pennsylvania on February 2, he saw his shadow.
- Like the polar bear, the groundhog, and other creatures of the wild, professional eaters have internal barometers, delicately calibrated to different times of the year.
- Woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, are a member of the squirrel family and reside throughout the east and mid-west sections of the United States and most of Canada.
- Canada geese, muskrats, groundhogs, beavers, and various bird species may cause nuisance problems in and around the pond.
- The snow is not as white, the road salt is collecting in classrooms, everybody walks head down to avoid winter, midterms loom on the horizon, co-op interviews are in full swing and groundhogs are forecasting spring.
- When the days start to grow longer in February, Americans are as hungry as a bunch of groundhogs, drooling for the first tender greens of spring.
- The groundhogs have chewed through countless car wires and insulation, and have even been found by unsuspecting mechanics nestled under car hoods, still perniciously gnawing.
- Something (I suspect a groundhog, or a deer, or a gigantic mutant rabbit) has started chewing on a couple of the pumpkins in the garden pumpkin patch.
- The groundhog, also called the woodchuck, is a tunnel master who finds any number of garden plants appealing both above and below the ground.
- Depending upon where you live, you may need to protect young plants from rabbits and groundhogs that find new shoots appetizing.
- The principal function of the fence was to keep animals out, particularly rabbits, but also skunks, raccoons, and groundhogs, all notorious crop destroyers.
- If your prime target is marmots or groundhogs, there's even less justification for scopes above 16x because the target is larger.
- If you live out West, it's the marmot - the groundhog's cowboy cousin - or prairie rats that command your attention.
- Like the groundhog of spring, today I saw my shadow.
- It's not unusual at all to see snakes, groundhogs, skunks, fox, and numerous other creatures.
- By sheer luck, no chipmunks or groundhogs have yet found it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.