In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of people)grupo masculine(visit/discussion) (before noun) en grupo(portrait) de conjuntoin groups of three — en grupos de tres
- to form a group — (physically) agruparse
- a consumers'/women's group — una asociación / agrupación de consumidores/mujeres
- a feminist/gay group — un colectivo / una agrupación feminista/gay
- group booking — reserva de grupo
- group photo — foto de grupo
- For once the onus has not been placed solely on women's groups and non-governmental organisations.
- These were groups organized to write letters to the editors of newspapers.
- They range from individual registrants to private organisations, community groups and schools.
- Both groups come together to share workshops, intensive training and performances.
- When another publisher picked up the book and the controversy, feminist groups attempted to organise a boycott.
- We hope people will join together with family and friends, clubs and organisations to form groups to raise the money.
- Somewhere along the middle of this continuum lies self help groups and organizations.
- Women were organised into groups and group leaders were appointed.
- Your efforts to include many groups and organisations are excellent.
- The big unanswered question: who benefits from largesse - interest groups or the common voter?
- Posters and entry forms were distributed to all schools, community groups, businesses and commercial outlets.
- We need to form a progressive coalition that includes the religious groups sharing our morality.
- It is small band of guerrillas without heavy artillery or any armor, organized in small groups.
- A host of groups and organisations have pledged to continue their support to reach the new target.
- Money left over is to go towards a new parish council noticeboard and the remainder will be shared among local groups.
- Youth clubs, after-school groups and organisations such as Scouts and Guides would be among those to benefit.
- Aid organisations and campaign groups, however, were less enthusiastic.
- Reading circles resemble college seminar groups except they are organized by participants.
- Ten minutes later, we were organized into groups, and sent outside into the inviting rain.
- I will certainly be contacting them and I hope to enlist the help of other disabled groups and organisations to protest against the ban.
1.2Musicgrupo masculineconjunto masculinea pop/rock group — un grupo pop/de rock
- They are imitating the complex dance steps and hand jives that the group perform in their videos.
- Now I know the purpose of this series is not to turn the two groups concerned against each other in some sonic battle royale.
- The group put on a frantic performance during a set that stretched into the night.
- On the evidence of this album, the group appear in complete and remarkable control of their art.
- Robert is joined by Vincent Courtois on cello and Cyril Atef on drums in a chamber jazz group of the highest order.
- The three groups represented on this album feature the ultimate in the sound and soul of brass band music.
- Rock'n'roll groups appeared on bills along with trad groups and pop singers - even some modern jazz made it into the charts.
- The album opens with the group's trademark sound in full effect.
- Sharing the bill with The Beatles were the somewhat-overlooked group The Briarwoods.
- We're only influenced by two groups and that's the Beatles and the Stones.
- American observers have noted this ethnic diversity in rap groups in France.
- Well ya gotta hand it to this super group for hammering together a release to be proud of.
- Lonnie equips his quartet with the dynamics of a big band while retaining the intimacy of a small group.
- Musically, the group captures a pressing sense of urgency devoid of anything trite or gimmicky.
- One of the most influential British indie groups of recent years have announced they are to split.
- Just don't expect it to sound like his old indie group, or much else for that matter.
- Space permits only a brief comparison here of the group singing of the Beatles and that of the girl groups.
- The interaction between the rhythm section and the rest of the group is beauteous to behold.
- It is yet another landmark in the career of one of soul music's greatest groups.
- Are they a natural conclusion to what the girl-led indie groups of the mid 90's didn't finish?
2.1(of things)grupo masculine
- Stars are not scattered randomly through space, they are gathered together into vast groups known as galaxies.
- To do this, push together chairs, stools and ottomans so small groups can gather.
- You go to classes all day long and take notes and participate in group discussions.
- The typical kind of call outs we are getting involve groups of youths gathering together.
- A group of maids had gathered together and were giggling and laughing over some unknown joke.
- One copy of this gene occurs in angiosperms, but two copies occur in the other four seed plant groups.
- We stood on the corner of one of the back roads when we were approached by a group of young boys aged about 10 to 12.
- Some walkers warned a group of four boys to get off the frozen river at Water End.
- They tend to gather in groups and take short flights out to sea and back in again, practising for their long journey back out onto the ocean.
- The extent of this clustering was similar in all four social class groups.
- He also feared for the safety of other pupils when the boy ran towards a group leaving the class, on May 17 last year.
- As they approached the group of men gathered round her tents, she screamed in horror.
- I used to take yoga classes, and group fitness classes, but that has fallen by the way side for the moment.
- He divided twenty-four of the plants into six initial groups of four, in order of size as estimated by eye.
- The four classes of protected groups are not defined, nor are criteria for their definition provided.
- The location of a taxi rank in the centre of town would lead to trouble, with large groups of people gathering together.
- To find answers this programme gathered together a group of eminent people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Therefore tomato plants should be gathered in groups of 6 on either side of the front gate.
- This is the third year we have gathered together a group of friends to meet at Burke's Canoes in Forestville.
- The sheets would be cut to approximate size, then they would be gathered into groups of three or four, folded in half and trimmed to the correct size.
2.2(class, division)grupo masculine
3.1Businessgrupo masculinebefore noun group company — colateral feminine
- He pointed out that the group has a building contract and has also obtained planning permission.
- Far be it from me to encourage you to buy a newspaper produced by another group.
- We start with a joint session between the contracts and commercial law groups.
- Many official bodies and commercial groups regard stickers and pasted posters as closely related to graffiti.
- The promotion is the first time Scotland's seven major newspaper publishing groups have collaborated on marketing.
- Commercial groups or individuals will continue to pay for the use of the facility as before.
- The syndicate will allow groups to find large commercial units with multi tenancies in prime locations.
- Some general practitioners have moved from group to chain ownership of practice premises.
(of elements)grupo masculine
- Ramsay realized that argon and helium might be members of a hitherto unsuspected new group in the Periodic Table.
(radical)grupo masculinean ethyl group — un grupo etílico
- He studied primitive permutation groups and proved a finiteness theorem.
- Although Galois had used groups extensively throughout his paper on equations, he had not given a definition.
- One of the areas which his work took him into was infinite permutation groups.
- Netto made major steps towards abstract group theory when he combined permutation group results and groups in number theory.
- He was the first to give a proof that the Galois group is closed under multiplication.
1agruparthe students grouped themselves around the table — los estudiantes se agruparon alrededor de la mesa
- these cases can be grouped together — estos casos pueden ponerse en un mismo grupo
- These two forms can be grouped further into two classifications described as opened and closed forms.
- As the cumbersome title suggests, the material is grouped under three rubrics.
- He then grouped all known flowering plants according to the number of such structures that each had.
- Furthest away are other science disciplines that would be grouped in different broad categories from psychology, like physics and chemistry.
- Clearly all of the issues grouped together under the heading of management learning are important.
- The issue was, can the individual chromosomes be distinguished or only grouped into classes?
- It seems the factors can be grouped into two categories - those involving diet and eating habits, and those involving life-style.
- These can be generally grouped into three categories: market research, market contacts and market promotion.
- The firefighters' fitness levels were grouped into six categories ranging from poor to excellent.
- It noted, however, much overlap among the charges, and that all could be grouped within the inclusive category of crimes against humanity.
- The classification is based on grouping the metabolites into primary and secondary.
- Photographs featured on the web site are grouped into seven categories - as are the albums.
- The main topic categories were then grouped into larger domains.
- Tumor classifications were created by grouping tumors that had median survivals below or above the median for the entire sample, respectively.
- To simplify matters, single malts are often grouped according to the region where they are produced.
- Eleven manufacturers who received five to seven nominations were grouped into Category 1.
- The eight chapters are grouped under three headings: culture, history and university.
- Camera specs and tests are listed by brand and grouped by number of megapixels.
- The structural steels can be grouped conveniently on the basis of tensile strength.
- The respondents were asked to list their current concerns and these concerns were grouped into major categories.
1to group around sth/sb — agruparse / formar un grupo alrededor de/en torno a algo/algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.