In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine barandillamasculine barandalfeminine barrera de seguridadfeminine barrera de protección
- The deck was flush to the edge with only a waist-high wire guard rail strung along the tops of plastic posts.
- The motor vehicle hit a tree, poll, or guard rail in 21%, and rolled over in 17%.
- The driver lost control under icy road conditions, the van hit the guard rail and flipped over.
- The beast in question was a trifle frisky in the sale ring and confined Aunty Pam behind the guard rail.
- The vehicle skidded and collided with the interstate guard rail.
- The guard rails were insufficient in height and construction to prevent falls.
- Moments later, the white and red pickup bucked over the guard rail.
- Sooner or later, the coke fiend behind the wheel is going to go straight through the guard rail and wrap the front end of the car around a tree.
- They slid toward a drop-off where there was no guard rail, and their vehicle, of course, went over the ledge.
- A lone figure stood out on the edge of the platform, leaning lightly on the guard rails anchored there.
- In Boston Chris decided to go street skating and decided to jump off of a roof with a guard rail on it over the sidewalk into the street.
- The road was icy and I just slid off and hit the guard rail.
- I collided with a guard rail, and I saw vehicles breeze by.
- After a tour of the upper barn, I walked to the Museum entrance at Bonifant Road and sat on the guard rail to watch the sunrise.
- For the next half hour, as the rusting guard rails and shoulder-high weeds of the median whirred past, I lost my orientation.
- None of the fences will have guard rails and the obstacles have been approvated by the Jockey Club.
- The drainage layer, the guard rail for the service stair, and the ‘flush’ first floor items were not dealt with.
- The guard rail comes so close to my passenger door that I could probably reach out and touch it.
- Apparently the car veered across the center line at a high rate of speed and broke through the guard rail before falling the 27 feet into the Susquehanna River.
- There were no guard rails, so working on the decks while underway must have been hazardous.
- The older man glances back at the car smashed against the guard rail.
- Above us, the guard rail of the elevated east-bound lane was shredded, making it look like the Lincoln had torn through it and nose-dived into the bus.
- If not, consider putting up a guard rail or steel posts to reduce this risk.
- Then he walked over to the guard rail and plummeted 100 feet to his death.
- In Ramsbury, the primary school is to receive £2,000 for guard rails and other pedestrian access improvements.
- Their parents stood on the other side of the guard rail, glaring at us.
- When he had covered said distance, he noticed, not without surprise, that the engine of his vehicle sputtered and died, causing the police car to strike the edge of a guard rail.
- To avoid the guard rails, I went into the grass and then landed in a stream, so I got rather wet.
- After trying to regain control for a very few seconds, Romeo's new blue truck, given to him as an early graduation present, slammed into the guard rail of a small bridge and flipped into a creek bed.
- We did have guard rails for disabled people and children on the fishing platforms but they've all been kicked in or ripped off with tools.
- It could also prove cheaper than erecting longer guard rails and also prevent vehicles possibly being diverted back into the path of following traffic after hitting a guard rail.
- With the boat beached and the bow tilted up, a guard rail prevented him from taking aim at the enemy.
- We ran into the guard rail and I could hear the right headlight smash in on itself.
- There's often no handholds where there should be handholds, or guard rails where there should be guard rails.
- Like punk artists, I began to draw connections and think about a postmodern world where people viewed their fears and fantasies in front of a TV screen or behind a guard rail.
- It was amazing to see men, women, and children alike chasing the moving bus, hopping on to the steps, then pulling themselves into the vehicle by using the guard rail or the door as a level of sorts.
- Overpasses, trees and guard rails zip past on either side. It's like a video game, but there are no obstacles or challenges along the road.
- At 5.20 pm we watched as, wearing full scuba gear, he clung to the guard rail and the ship crashed beneath the waves.
- The sound effects make you want to swerve head-on into the guard rails to miss whatever it is that you haven't seen.
- However, as Bret was walking back to his corner on the ring apron, Owen was whipped into the ropes, knocking Bret off and into the guard rail.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.