In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1guerrillero masculineguerrillera feminine(leader/tactics) masculine guerrilleroguerrilla group — guerrilla
- By taking care of routine policing and security, they will free the US army to conduct raids and fight the guerrillas.
- When you're fighting guerrillas, or terrorists, the enemy is quite literally hydra-headed.
- Many innocent civilians have been caught in the middle of a war between the country's military and the guerillas.
- This program forced civilians to take sides and served to increasingly isolate guerillas from popular support.
- They were transformed into a both a modern guerilla force, and a terror outfit.
- The accepted ratio of government forces to guerrillas is often cited as 10:1.
- It was the first major strategic attack carried out by a guerilla force and the attackers came from within as well as without our society.
- The military power employed went beyond American troops engaged in fighting guerillas.
- It was system of indirect control, with the US constantly fighting low level guerilla warfare with special forces.
- In practice this has been an inefficient way of aiding the country's fight against left-wing guerrillas.
- The US is concerned that the weapons are intended for domestic militias or foreign guerillas.
- In the rush to war, the Western Coalition was not prepared for the guerilla warfare they're now faced with.
- The regiment has long experience in Yemen, where it fought against guerrillas in the 1960s.
- During the eighteenth century, the Sikhs had to fight a guerilla war against huge forces.
- Rebel guerrillas would be tracked, then intercepted before reaching their targets.
- Russian forces have been fighting the separatist guerrillas on and off since 1994.
- It's not like Russia where you can retreat and retreat - you hole up and fight a guerilla war, or you run out of country.
- He promised a massive military response to the guerillas with a budget of a billion dollars and a million men enlisted as volunteers.
- The US military estimated about 100 guerrillas had been killed in the assault.
- State news agency MIA said the guerrillas were opening fire from a Tetovo suburb.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.