In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gallina de Guinea femininepintada feminine
- The helmeted guineafowl is the ancestor of the domestic guineafowl
- Other considerations are the same as for the entire family of guineafowl.
- The top photo is of a Pearl or ‘wild type’ guineafowl with black and white spotted feathers.
- Though primarily found in rainforests, some guineafowl live in open-country habitats other than the desert, such as grasslands and plains with thickets and brush.
- It has a restful, out-of-the-way atmosphere and is named after the flocks of guineafowl that frequent the nearby field.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.